The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

REAR BRAKE DRUM RESTO (1928)

• 15 Aug 2016 1:55 PM
    Message # 4192477
    Anonymous

Hey All,

I had a question regarding the rear brake drum.  I'm restoring my wheels and had a question about the drum.  If powder coated or painted, wouldn't the brakes simply remove coating?  Similarly if I nickel plated?  But if left as exposed iron, wouldn't it rust?

Suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Scotty

Last modified: 15 Aug 2016 1:58 PM | Anonymous
  • 16 Aug 2016 6:32 AM
    Reply # 4194973 on 4192477
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Using the rear brake removes that rust nicely , painting is a no no Scott.

• 16 Aug 2016 6:52 AM
    Reply # 4194995 on 4192477
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Inside and rear face should be painted black Scott. Mask off the braking surface tho.

• 16 Aug 2016 7:18 AM
    Reply # 4195035 on 4192477

When restoring the rear brake drum see to that the splines fit absolute exact on the hub, at best the drum has to be lightly tapped on. It is even more -or at least as- important for the sprocket side. Slightest play will risk the drum or sprocket vibrate loose its securing nut. Locktite is absolutly not a solution for loose splines fit on a drum or sprocket.

If there is any play what happens when the drum/sprocket gets loose the splines on either one or both parts will be ruined and makes it impossible to fasten the drum/sprocket again in a safe manner. Only remedy is to repair the splines and/or buy a new part. For the hub, I have seen recently that it is possible to cut off the damaged end of the hub and buy a new short piece with splines to be welded on. Drums and sprockets is possible to buy all new.

Last modified: 16 Aug 2016 7:43 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 17 Aug 2016 12:16 AM
    Reply # 4196271 on 4192477
    Anonymous

Got my answers, thanks.  The drum was very tight.  Chris, the owner of Wheelworks(not the car shop) is an old-timer out here in the SF Bay Area (40+ years) re-lacing rims.  He helped me at his shop get the drum off.  He primarily restores BSA and Nortons, but knows all wheels inside and out.  He echoed what Carl said about tight fit and Tim said about bare steel.  It's like an episode of American Pickers meets the wand maker in Harry Potter with a ton of British Bike parts everywhere. Very eccentric dude.

I'll post pics of the progress of the bike soon.  Color is not exact, but considering I had it completely blasted and powder coated, she is all metal, zero filler, and it's something I would have picked had I purchased new.

Thanks again, Carl.  And Tim shoot me an email when you come up for air and let me know how you're doing.

Last modified: 17 Aug 2016 12:18 AM | Anonymous
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.