The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Magneto gear problem

• 04 Sep 2016 2:59 AM
    Message # 4227876
    Anonymous

Hello everyone,

At this moment i'm assembling my 37" 1929 101 engine. 

The problem is that the magneto gear does not fit right on the axle of the Splitdorf ignition. When i tighten the nut of the gear, the gear is not straight when i rotate it. I'm sure that the axle of the Splitdorf is in alignment. It is also strange that there is just a number "I" on the gear and that the other gears have several marks on it. Does i have the right magneto gear? It also looks that the slot inside the gear, that holds de key, is homemade, not a machined straight line. Is there a difference in magneto gears for Bosch and Splitdorf magneto's? The marker on one of the teeth looks also different if i compare it with the other gears.

Has anyone a good useable magneto gear that is right for a 101 37" 1929?

Thanks for any advise.

Best regards,

Theo Knoop

The Netherlands

Last modified: 04 Sep 2016 3:59 AM | Anonymous
  • 05 Sep 2016 8:44 AM
    Reply # 4229115 on 4227876
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Theo, the round keyway is the one you should be using, they are often worn, so need to make a key to fit. Maybe you are using too big a key and it is stopping the gear seating on ther taper ? Does it sit square without a key ? 

• 07 Sep 2016 11:06 AM
    Reply # 4232653 on 4227876
    Anonymous

Hi Tim,

First of all thanks for you're reply.

I still has the problem without the key. May i conclude that the inside of the gear is worn-out?

Theo

• 08 Sep 2016 1:34 AM
    Reply # 4233794 on 4227876

It is a very minor problem to find a usable gear compared to repair the damage on both magneto and engine internals that a bad magneto gear or magneto shaft can do. A magneto is a precise instrument with parts turning with very close gaps internally. Don't accept anything else but perfect and you can enjoy decades of good service from the magneto.

Last modified: 08 Sep 2016 1:40 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 10 Sep 2016 3:36 PM
    Reply # 4243574 on 4227876
    Anonymous

Problem solved!

Many thanks to "Indian Ben Huisman" 50 years of experience with Indian motorcycles.

It seemed  to be an Indian maneto gear but not for a Splitdorf. Some people have tried to made a round keyhole in it but not with succes. we've installed the right one from Indian Ben (many many thanks!) and its right.

All of you, many thanks for the advise!

Proud to be a member!!

The Netherlands

• 11 Sep 2016 4:24 PM
    Reply # 4244752 on 4227876

Good news! Please keep us updated!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.