The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

engine/primary/gearbox back in the US

• 06 Oct 2016 10:22 AM
    Message # 4293701

Pretty excited this week when the 37ci motor I purchased from Norway showed up.  I first gave it a bath as it was dirty and I wanted to see what I purchased.  Here is a link to some pictures, before and after the hot water shower!

http://s1147.photobucket.com/user/harryjroberts/slideshow/101%20scout

Last modified: 06 Oct 2016 10:28 AM | Harry Roberts
  • 07 Oct 2016 7:23 AM
    Reply # 4295225 on 4293701

When you rip it apart, try to take time to document the different gaps and play you find in bushings and bearings, guides, gears and the like. To and fro, up and down and in between. Usually everything is ripped apart, put in boxes and then the restoration starts at home and/or sent away somewhere. And every surface is fiddled with. 

Take a lot of pictures from every angle and stage in the disassembly, it does feel stupid and overambitious at the moment, but it is the picture or written note that you didn't take, that is needed later on. The notes will become valuable once to decide what is needed to restore, secondly to compare with the restored details and later as a control base to know what's and perhaps why a detail is worn out of specs. Taking measures is a excellent way to learn the details of the engine.  

Last modified: 07 Oct 2016 7:38 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 08 Oct 2016 10:16 AM
    Reply # 4296906 on 4293701
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Nice buy.

Before removing head bolts, soak undersides with penetrant and wire brush exposed threads of  bolts. The exposed bottom couple of threads often have a bloom of rust on them, and damage the internal threads in the cylinders on the way out.

Left hand thread on pinion gear nut, and clutch hub nut on the transmission mainshaft .

• 09 Oct 2016 1:36 AM
    Reply # 4297554 on 4293701

I reused "patina head bolts" (rusty) and cracked a pair of nice 37ci cylinders, both front and rear. One bolt hole in each cylinder, right through from cylinder surface straight out. I suspect the cause was that the bolts didn't end up in the same hole and the "bloom of rust", either on the bolt or in the hole at the last threads cracked them. 

I still kick myself of how stupid I was for not using new bolts and not clean up the holes with a tap before.

Last modified: 09 Oct 2016 1:37 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 10 Oct 2016 5:54 PM
    Reply # 4299383 on 4293701

Thank-you Carl and Tim, I will be into this engine when riding is done for the season!  I haven't touched a thing except the to see if the motor turns over, slowly with a wrench on the kicker ratchet nut.  Happily the motor turns and the valves I can see through the plug holes operate, but I can only turn it about 270 degrees before something stops it.  I plan to turn the motor on its side to dress the exposed bottoms of the head bolts and douse them with penetrating oil.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.