The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

101 pistons

• 27 Oct 2016 9:47 AM
    Message # 4351362
    Deleted user

I had the opportunity to read through the service manual the other day and I found something interesting. I need to figure the oiling system out.

The manual says to set the oil pump to 28 drops per minute at Idle. You can set this by putting a “test plug” in the oil pump and count the drips coming out of it.

I am going to make one of these test plugs . Here is the kicker. I was told by a rider over here to use later model pistons in the 101’s with an oil ring. So I did my bikes. No problems yet.

According to the book, the 101’s should use 1 quart of oil per 100 miles. (This seems excessive to me) this is with a two ring piston. Well, if we set our oil pumps to 28 drops and we don’t use oil through the rings, We are going to end up with too much oil in the crank case.  I want to find balance. I do not want to burn 1 quart of oil per 100.

Any advise?

• 28 Oct 2016 8:16 AM
    Reply # 4353449 on 4351362
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Dave, you should be able to get that up to around 200 -250 without too much trouble. The answer is, set the oil pump rich (ie the 28 drops) and check oil level in the case regularly. If you check before a ride and drain to the level plug, stop after a few miles and recheck. I do this every 40- 50 miles on a new motor, draining the level plug into a cup. Once you know that you are over oiling, you can reduce the oil flow gradually. It is very dependent on the oil pump, oil temp and your personal riding habits. I have found that oil consumption tends to drop off by/after around six hundred miles, I assume that this coincides with the rings having bedded in. 

Bear in mind that the increase in oil useage with revolutions is not proportionately linear, as what may seem to be over oiling at 35-40mph will be just about right at 45-50 mph, but a short burst flat out will have the motor running dry in a couple of minutes. You should not be running flat out until you have a round 1500 miles on the motor, Jorgen Sundberg in Sweden recommends using a product with an ester as an additive during running in. 

This video is a bit of fun, I DO NOT recommend synthetic oil for old motors, a  do you own research please.

https://youtu.be/A-bU6SByP0Y

• 28 Oct 2016 11:27 AM
    Reply # 4353738 on 4351362

My 101 does not have an oil ring and behaves as described except oil use is closer to 200 miles/qt than 100.  I find that I need to check oil level frequently, and fiddle with the metering "pump".  I added a petcock to make it easier.  With the 2-ring pistons, a little excess oil gets burned, which is OK, & way too much will cause smoking.

I learned more about oiling old motors with the 1916 Henderson inline 4 cyl single-speed that I tuned and rode in this year's Cannonball Run.  The engine has babbit bearings and a shallow sump with splash lubrication from little projections on the rods.  It has a dry external clutch. The OEM setup used enough oil that there was a drip arrangement, without a pump.  The modern build uses an oil ring and does away with the drip system, running the engine line a lawn mower.  The empty oil tank is used for reserve gasoline.  The engine consistently used 1oz of oil/12 miles when driven on a local course where the average speed is 45-50 mph.

During the run, the oil was changed every day, using Red Line full synthetic motorcycle oil (designed specifically for modern Harleys).  1 quart would overfill by 5 oz.  I added oil at lunch stops, where it would be down several oz.  Level checking was via petcock as on a 101.  I changed the petcock to a "full flow" ball valve with a large passage to make the process easier.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.