The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Front Spring Pack Shim

• 30 Oct 2016 1:55 PM
    Message # 4356052
    Deleted user

The Note on page 17 of the Shop Manual outlines a tip by Jerry Hatfield to install a tapered shim at  the rear of the spring pack to increase the angle of the front suspension rockers to improve the ride.  I'm sure I have seen a sketch of this somewhere and have been through the Shop Manual and Tech Tips but cannot find it again. Can anyone help please? Thanks geir.

• 31 Oct 2016 2:18 AM
    Reply # 4356706 on 4356052

As I don't know how to add pictures here, I'll try to explain. The wedge is a bit wider than the footprint of the fork crown shape where it contacts the spring and has notches for the bolts in order not to shift or slide off. Basicly, the wedge needs to be the same shape as the underside of the crown where it supports the spring, in order not to load the crown or bolts in some dangerous way. The wedge angle depends on how much you need to alter the spring aspect.

Basicly when the bike is on the ground, on its wheels with no load, the rockers shold assume roughly the same angle as the lower fender stay or a bit more acute angle. The wheelaxle nut should be partly or fully visible under the fender stay. Certainly not a shallower angle than that or the suspension will be hash, rough and unresponsive on the road.

But first you need to carefully investigate the reason why you need to change the geometry of the suspension. Very small tweaks of the fork shape or spring connecting links does a big difference down at the rockers!

Is the fork bent? A small head on accident can bend the fork backwards. Small differences are very hard to see with the naked eye. You need measurements in 2 or 3 directions with the fork preferably in a jig or on a table.

There are differences in spring connecting links. Are they the right ones for the fork?  If so, do they have the right shape? That too is very hard to see with the naked eye. It is crucial that they both are exactly the same length and square to the spring.

Is the spring tired or bent or it's eye bushing worn in some way? In some cases spring leaves can be hammered back cold, but it comes with a slight risk. New spring packs is available, and in fact a complete fork as well.

Last modified: 31 Oct 2016 2:45 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 31 Oct 2016 2:57 AM
    Reply # 4356728 on 4356052
    Deleted user

Thanks Carl-Eric for the prompt and comprehensive reply.

I am just in the process of re-assembling the running gear; frame and suspension is together, but not the wheels and the rest of the metalwork. I'm still waiting on engine and gearbox to come back from re-build too. I thought I would check if  it needed a shim before I proceeded further. Once I have it all back together, on the ground and under load, I will check angles etc and need for any shim. 

With your advice, I shouldn't have any problem fabricating one if necessary. (I could swear I had seen a sketch somewhere.)  Looking forward to getting my bike together!  Regards Geir 

• 31 Oct 2016 7:35 AM
    Reply # 4357101 on 4356052
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Geir, the length of the rocker hangers was changed a couple of times during 101 production. Also, 101s often have older ones fitted. The ideal angle for the rockers to sit at is approx 35-45 degrees to the road to absorb shocks and transfer forces vertically ( if the rocker angle is level to the road, the tendency is for shocks to be transfered thro the head stock, and not via the springing action of the leafspring) We have found factory made shims under three forks here in the last few years, and machined up a small batch. However, the two bikes we tried them on did not need them, as they increase the spring tension and caused the front end to bounce excessively when sharp bumps or potholes were hit, altho they did smooth the ride out to a certain extent.

The wedge shaped shim sits between the fork casting and the leaf spring, between the bolts, lifting the front of the leafspring , and hence increasing the angle of the rockers.

The frame and fork geometry is  good as standard, the hangers from the leaf spring to the rockers are often bent and affect the posiion of the rockers, you need to check that the rockers sit evenly, and in identical positions. I have seen mismatched pairs on several occasions that cause the front wheel to sit out of true. 

• 31 Oct 2016 1:17 PM
    Reply # 4357492 on 4356052
    Deleted user

Thanks Tim - as I recall there was no problem before I stripped it down but that was without a detailed check of angles. Sitting on the bench with the suspension bolted into the frame  the components appear straight and it all looks reasonably well aligned.  I will do a thorough check once it is re-assembled with the wheels and engine and sitting on the ground.  Thanks again - geir

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.