The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Installing Hand Grip Control Cables

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 06 Nov 2016 11:41 AM
    Message # 4366716
    Deleted user

I am about to install my throttle and ignition cables. I understand the size, order and position of fittings as shown in the drawings on pages 24 and 25 of the shop manual but I fear making a mistake or damaging the cables.  Does anyone have any tips on installing them into the handlebars and particularly bending and clamping the cable inners into the blocks in the twist grips.  The tolerances on my new clamping blocks seem very tight and I cannot slide the retaining pins into the blocks using just my hands - even without a cable in place.  Is this supposed to be a tight press fit or should the pin slide in easily?  I  couldn't see anything in Tech Tips in the back-copies of the WOW. I would be grateful of any advice. Thanks Geir. 

P.S. I'm making good progress on getting the running gear re-assembled.

• 07 Nov 2016 7:25 AM
    Reply # 4368127 on 4366716
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Heres what I do.

Fit the disc stop to the outer cable :- Clamp outer in a vice with approx 1/2 inch protruding, drop disc over it, use a pair of side cutters to unwind a turn and a half, hammer this coil flat against disc and cut off excess leaving one complete turn flattened against disc, this won't pull out. 

Feed inner thru hole in bars near headstock, and use this as a guide for the outer. Have a friend pull on outer stretching it slightly while you fit small clips up tight against handlebar, this will remove all slop from outer.

pin  should be a light press fit into barrell, some may need a slight adjustment, they normally have a slight taper so one end will feed in easier. put a 90 degree bend in inner with a tail just under half length of pin, for clean bend use vice and small hammer.Feed that tail thru small hole and push pin thru, sandwiching tail in the groove. May need pressure in vice and socket on one end to force thru. make sure it is even both sides. You may have burred up the barrell doing this, file to clean up, as these will affect action. 

There may be burrs on the inside of handlebar slots, remove these with fine file taking care not to open op slot, burrs will cause snatchy action, wide slot will cause slop.

Now feed inner down outer using white grease liberally. Fit twistgrip with internal spiral over bar and wind it on. Now tighten up ring and check for play. some new grips may jam as the return on the end of the twistgrip is too thick, I have had to turn down up to 60 thou off them to stop them jamming. Some may be too thin, this will cause slop, Greers sell a shim kit.if you have a smooth action now, disssemble, fill up liberally with white grease and put back together. 

Before fitting rubber  handgrips, check depth, usually tight fit and often 1/4 inch to short, leaving unsightly gap between rubber and bar. Increasing depth a touch is not difficult, there is up to an inch of solid runner there. Find an appropriately sized endmill but in lathe chuck and trun at low speed,pushing grip on, CARE NEEDED HERE> .You will need to drill a small hole in the centre of the solid grip end only as deep as you need to remove rubber, to allow mill to cut, as the centre of the mill bit which does not cut will stop contct with the rest of the rubber.

Don't cut cable to length until you are sure routings and free play are correct, leave tails of inner as long as possible at the carb or mag end, often people cut them short and put a 90 bend in them just past ferrule, then find they need adjustment. They cables shuld be adjusted so that full advance on mag or trhottle fully closed on carb is just before full movement of handgrip, a little extra legth will add pressure to carb closing or full advance being achieved. Some fiddling may be requires to get full movement of throttle disc, push disc shut with screwdriver before adjusting cable. Fully closed obviously more important than fully open :)

The leather bale prtectors are great, without them the cable will remove all paint from headstock in a couple of hundred miles. 

Let me know how you go, or if anything needs clarifying, its pre morning coffee here.

Tim

• 07 Nov 2016 8:47 AM
    Reply # 4368259 on 4366716
    Deleted user

Thanks Tim for the comprehensive guide. I'm really pleased that I hadn't jumped into this as I suspect I would have made a big mess of it.  I will have a go at it in the next day or two. Geir

• 07 Nov 2016 6:00 PM
    Reply # 4369302 on 4366716

Yes, that's a good guide. In addition I can say when bending the inner wire 90 degrees for the slider block, I had to pre-bend the wire as much as possible, then insert it in the slider block and let the pin shape the last when knocking it in. I could enter the pins in the holes but they needed persuing with light hammer blows. I had to avoid the block make a nick on the wire at the inner curve, so I went in there first with a dremel ballshaped grinding bit, to countersink the hole just a touch. At pre-bending I did use a aluminium coaster for the vice. The bend has to be tight but still as round and smooth as possible. All that to prevent any unneeded strain and fatigue break at that critical point.

The outer sheeth is very VERY sensitive for any damage, slightest blow on it, kink or tight bend makes the wire tight. Much more sensitive than a bowden wire, because the gap between the wire and hole is much smaller. The bend around the headstock is most critical, just a tad too short and you got a tight bend on it when you turn the handlebar to the ends. Just a tad too long and you got a kink where it enters the handlebar or/and a kink at the bracket!

Don't force the wire anyplace, take the care and time it takes to adjust the length exact and the controls are rewarding you with wonderful smooth and precise movement.

A kink or bend is hard but not impossible to fix, but it takes a lot of meticulous careful bending with dual pliers. Most times it is better to pull out the wire first, you still need to straighten the inner wire in any case. Fix the outer sheeth first so you can compare where the kink is with the damage on the inner wire. It is good if you have experience on how to manipulate a tight wound spring. Avoid tapping, a flat spot and you have to scrap the sheeth altogether. If you fix the inner wire first, you will have a very hard time to find the damage on the outer sheeth.

Ps. My twistgrip tubes is about 3/4" shorter than the rubber grips. That leaves a air cushion and soft handlebar end, that has shown very useful when manouvering in tight places! No damage to grips, walls or other vehicles when accidently bumping in to them! I love it.

Last modified: 09 Nov 2016 11:43 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 08 Nov 2016 2:18 AM
    Reply # 4369925 on 4366716
    Deleted user

Thanks Carl-Erik for the additional tips regarding cable clamping and installation.  It is obviously no easy task so I am glad I asked for some advice before starting.  I had just started fitting the outer cable holding tabs a few minutes ago and came back in from the garage to review Tim's guide when I saw your reply too.  Just in time!!!  

Thanks again both of you for your help - I would be lost without it.  Geir.

Update:  Pinning the cable inner went well although pin was quite tight. I spent over two hours repeatedly trying to feed the cable sleeve through the handlebars, coaxing and guiding with various pointed tools etc  But it kept getting stuck at the exit hole near the head-stock.  I think the problem is that I bought the cables nearly 40 years ago from Bob Stark on a trip to LA.  Being a spring steel winding I suspect that the outer has expanded in diameter a little over this time. Eventually I solved the problem by drilling the exit hole slightly larger and chamfered the end of the cable outer. When the cable was pushed up against the exit hole I used a small flat bladed screwdriver to ease the cable into alignment with the exit and it pushed through. Whew!!!! Still have to do the throttle.

Last modified: 09 Nov 2016 2:45 AM | Deleted user
  • 09 Nov 2016 10:31 AM
    Reply # 4372656 on 4366716
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

With the inner fed thru first as a guide, finding a way to rotate the outer usually gets it to pop thro. Again , taking care not to kink the outer, I loop up the other end in a large coil so that I can spin it easily. Sometimes you may need to wiggle the "guide" inner too at the same time, requires 3 hands :)

• 09 Nov 2016 12:49 PM
    Reply # 4373028 on 4372656
    Deleted user
    Tim Raindle wrote:

With the inner fed thru first as a guide, finding a way to rotate the outer usually gets it to pop thro. Again , taking care not to kink the outer, I loop up the other end in a large coil so that I can spin it easily. Sometimes you may need to wiggle the "guide" inner too at the same time, requires 3 hands :)

Thanks Tim - Yes I tried all of those many times over.  It was only when I tried to feed the outer in from the head-stock end that I found the sleeve was slightly too big and would just not go into the handlebar proper.  We'll see how it goes on the throttle side today.  PS the DLX-64 is a very good one and Mike has taken the Schebler H112's! 
  • 13 Nov 2016 10:13 AM
    Reply # 4382224 on 4366716

I found a video that Mike Thomas of KIWI has made and it gives some valuable tips that can be applied to the 101 cable and grips installation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5iynnkzay0

Last modified: 13 Nov 2016 10:17 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 13 Nov 2016 7:14 PM
    Reply # 4382750 on 4382224
    Deleted user
    Carl-Erik Renquist wrote:

I found a video that Mike Thomas of KIWI has made and it gives some valuable tips that can be applied to the 101 cable and grips installation. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5iynnkzay0

Thanks Carl-Eric.

Very helpful as far as twist-grip set up is concerned. Obviously the chief bars are much easier as it is a straight push through of the cable outer,   not like the Scout where we have a big bend at mid handlebars and then a small reverse direction bend at the exit  hole near the steering head.  

I also had an issue with the retaining pin in the inner cable block being too tight.  Once I pressed in the pin I found that it was about 5 degrees off  90 degrees as against the block. So at full extension the sleeve pulls the block slightly to one side of the handlebar,  binding a little. I could not move the pin at all using a 10" shifting spanner nor in spite of applying some heat with a propane torch. I'm going to get a new pin and block and re-do it to make sure its right. (Thankfully I had only done the advance/retard cable).

Not so easy and thanks again to both of you. geir

• 14 Nov 2016 3:53 AM
    Reply # 4383251 on 4366716

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Was the pin ruined when pushed out again? If not, just a little sanding would fix the tight fitting. And if it was, if you find a pin that fits the hole it shouldn't be that difficult to produce the groove and notches with a Dremel and a little fiddling.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.