The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Wiring the Lights

• 18 Nov 2016 3:30 PM
    Message # 4399921
    Deleted user

I need some clarification for wiring for the lights using a reproduction loom from Walker Engineering.
    Dash Dome Light: I am repairing the internal bulb connection, spring and cable which was missing.  Is the bulb cover intended to rotate down the slot of the dome light body to push the globe onto the contact to switch on the globe, or is it simply turned on at the main switch.  Which connection does the globe cable go to on the main switch?

Reproduction John Brown Headlight Reflector Assembly:  This is fitted with a main two-pin globe and a smaller auxiliary globe with single connection. The wiring loom only has two headlight cables, red and green. Do I need to install a third wire and separate handlebar switch to get this to function correctly? 

Thanks in anticipation of the help. geir

• 19 Nov 2016 2:53 AM
    Reply # 4400618 on 4399921

You are right, the bulb cover is intended to rotate down the slot of the dome light body to push down the globe and switch on the bulb. The cable goes to one of the screws on the bridged connecting marked "tail". 

There is no "parking" choice. Current to tail and instrument light is only on when the switch is on "dim" or "brt" but the horn is hot all the time, its wire goes to the center screw.

You connect the parking light to the lo beam light. That way there is a faint light even if the lo beam filament expire. And remember! The lights on, even daytime, is way easier to notice for other road users than with the lights off!

Current return can be troublesome with paint at many joints. Safest is to route a separate ground cable back to the instrunent dash. I soldered a ground cable from the bulb holder to the light body because there is often enough issues with the connection between bulb holder, reflector and light body.

Last modified: 19 Nov 2016 3:00 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 19 Nov 2016 7:22 AM
    Reply # 4400796 on 4399921
    Deleted user

Thanks Carl-Erik

I had held off starting with the main wiring awaiting this clarification especially with the headlight connection. I'm now happy to start.  
    Just a minor clarification: Does the Dome light cover push directly on the top of the bulb or is something used to cushion it, and presumably it needs to be a long type of globe? 

Thanks all to help with all of this . I managed to repair internals of my Instrument Panel Dome Light with substitute internal parts from a '99 Honda XR 250 indicator. geir.

Last modified: 02 Dec 2016 4:43 PM | Deleted user
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.