The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Ammeter repair

• 11 Dec 2016 6:50 PM
    Message # 4452881

My ammeter is shorting to itself.  Can anyone suggest where I can get it repaired/cleaned?  thanks, victor

• 12 Dec 2016 8:14 AM
    Reply # 4454820 on 4452881
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Try Kevin here, only guy I know of:-

http://indiangauge.com/

• 12 Dec 2016 12:42 PM
    Reply # 4455326 on 4452881

If you have the orig. Westinghouse, the wire should not be connected to the studs or housing. The 2 studs is bolted to the housing (or rather riveted to the panel) so there is always a short connection between them. 

The hot wire from the battery should go uncut in the loop under the meter, 1 or 2 turns and then to the switch. The meter is not connected to wires in any other way. 1 or 2 turns in the loop depends on what the needle indicates regarding ampere, meters can have different sensibility and that has to be checked. The meter indicates same amperage regardless of what kind of isolation the hot wire has, thin or thick plastic or old fashion cloth isolation.

The bracket should have insulator washers in the holes to isolate the studs from the bracket, I don't know why, but guess that has to do with the magnet inside the meter...It can depend on the version of meter/different way it is assembled internally. In any case wires should not be connected to the studs.

Water condensation and rust is a problem inside the meter, so a cleaning and restoration is not a bad idea. 

There is not many parts in it but the needle and the thin magnet inside are delicate and difficult to replace. Be aware if a stud is loose, it holds the thin magnet and should not be turned and the stopnut must not be torqued overly hard or the magnet can split in pieces.

Last modified: 12 Dec 2016 2:05 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.