The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Oil vent possibilities - Your suggestions please

• 22 Jan 2017 5:23 AM
    Message # 4561653
    detail for oil system

Dear All,

My name is Benno, living in Germany and trying to get my early 1929, 45ci 101 into running condition.

I would like to share with the possibilities for a better venting of the crankcase and I would like to know the best solution.

Starting 2015 by riding the bike with the original venting valve on the left side, I was facing a huge overpressure and a mass of oil to be splashed out by the vent-tube.

As the motor was complete overhauled and the pistons even so tight, that they were blocked one time.. I thought, that the bypass blow down would create this problem.

First the engine was remade, but is mechanical OK now. I check each time the level of oil in the crankcase and still got oil in the vent…

Therefor I decided to change the valve by the nice PCV from “Mike-XS”, where this low reduction valves were used for the ventilation of a Yamaha XS650.

The valve is now together with a retainer in the toolbox. The function is OK , but not perfect. (still to much blow-out.

The point now: As I have a second 101, which had a worn out DVAR-Bosch magneto… I had the magneto repaired and the bike is sitting now on the work-bench for assembling.

With the timing-cover open, I thought, that the conversion of 1929 to the vent-outlet on the top right side, might be the solution. (Tech Tip 13 WOW)

I have discussed this item with Carl-Erik, who would leave the 1928 solution (vent on the left), while he saw the risk of dirt to be transferred to the right side, if the vent is in the timing-cover…

Other mechanics in Germany told me, that the vent on both sides would be the optimum…

As I have purchased already a timing-cover with hole for the vent, I can do the transfer to the right like in the service-shot mentioned. I would like to do any version you experts recommend with experience!

If the right vent is preferred, I still believe, that the four small holes plus the two bold threads in the right crankcase are in total bigger than the existing hole for the tube on the left side. Therefor I do not intend to drill the holes bigger (in the right crankcase), even when it was recommended for the modification of a Chief.

To show the details… I have uploaded some files to my dropbox account (sse link). I am not sure if the link works… Please excuse as well, if my English leads to confusion.

Best regards

Benno

• 23 Jan 2017 4:19 PM
    Reply # 4564659 on 4561653

Benno;

My 1928 45" engine was originally built with the left side vent.  It acted as you described, with considerable oil dumping out of the vent.  There is a "Service Shot" that requested the relocation of the vent to the right side (cam drive side). I made the change and have not had any problems since.  Be careful to install the disc correctly and use "Hondabond or Yamabond to seal the housing.

Also, make sure you have the oil flow adjusted properly.

Good luck!

Gordon

• 25 Jan 2017 3:04 PM
    Reply # 4568476 on 4561653
    Anonymous

I am now using the new style breather for all Indian engines on the left side. The new style looks identical and has a post in the middle inside with a round washer that slides back and forth instead of the star disc.  I find that the new style reduces crank pressure enough so that oil is not squirting out of every crack available and i have a lot less oil leaks. 

• 26 Jan 2017 2:14 PM
    Reply # 4570391 on 4561653

Dear Vahan,

I already use a different valve for the left side (back in the toolbox with a very low restriction in the flow.

Now I have found a way to add my reduced pictures:

https://beta.groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/101scout/photos/photostream/lightbox/1347575446?orderBy=mtime&sortOrder=desc&photoFilter=ALL

The question remains: with transversion to the right side or both sides ...

Best regards

Benno

Last modified: 26 Jan 2017 5:05 PM | Benno Triep
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.