The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

101 TANK RESTORATION - VAHAN VINIHANIAN

• 06 Feb 2017 5:44 PM
    Message # 4594680
    Anonymous

Vahan was the first on the west coast in the Amca to restore tanks using this unique method,  which is extremely involved.  

Vahan states, "the person that taught us how to do this had been doing this in another country for 40 years and is now 82 years old.  There are lots of steps to attaining success in cleaning rusted sheet metal, that is saturated with gas and oil, so that it will take Tin over its entire surface ........at this point we have spent 30,000 dollars on equipment ..........not including my time making the jigs, needed for re assembly.  I had ceased 'restoring' for about 10 years to have a family and build a house .........now I’m back in full swing. 

I will take more photos of the '101 Tank tinning process'. 

It will be difficult to compete with new tanks being made in india and poland .........but new tanks will never be like the originals .......and hence ...........will never be called originals.

If. people want to disassemble their tanks I urge them NOT to use a 'gas torch' ........ as it will overheat some areas of the sheet metal, and 'warp the parts', so that they are very difficult to realign and reassemble.

Our tin comes from a third world country and is 100% pure tin, thus quite expensive".

To all our 101 Association membership, we now have here, Vahan's expertise available, to repair, what for a long time, were questionable tanks, most of which, were considered ........unable to be repaired.  The beauty of Vahan's approach, for the purist indeed, is that now, these questionable tanks, in most cases, can be resurrected and used again .......back there, on your bike, where they BELONG in original form ........adding most certainly, to the true valuable appeal, of your 101's authentic state !!!  A link will be provide here shortly to Vahan's site.  

Thanks Vahan for making your service available, indeed, it will be a valuable service, that will assist many !!  Please feel free, to forward all inquiries to Vahan !!

Last modified: 07 Feb 2017 5:16 PM | Anonymous
  • 07 Feb 2017 3:38 AM
    Reply # 4595559 on 4594680

Here is a very short video that shows Vahan doing hot tin dipping:

https://www.facebook.com/vahan.dinihanian.14/posts/243422632777986?pnref=story

Dinihanian Mfg inc. now offering tank restoration. 
    The process: Disassembly, hot tanking, Dent removal, 100% pure tin dipping, re assembly using 100% pure tin solder. will not leak or rust. 45.00 per hour paint ready. 
    we can also restore fenders and other rusted sheet metal parts with the same process.

• 07 Feb 2017 4:17 AM
    Reply # 4595597 on 4594680
    Anonymous

Hi All,

I've also added Vahan's flyer here:

http://www.101scout.org/page-1767558

• 07 Feb 2017 5:27 AM
    Reply # 4595620 on 4594680

-- If. people want to disassemble their tanks I urge them NOT to use a gas torch as it will overheat some areas of the sheet metal, and warp the parts, so that they are very difficult to realign and reassemble.--

Very true. Even heating with only gasol or even a big soldering iron or will put risk to warp the tank. There is a lot of tension built in the tank skin, so care is imperative or you are at risk of inducing more harm than good. Prying and bending at the thin edge will deform the precise fit between the tank halves. 

Better method is to press the halves apart at the same time as gently heating the seam. In order to pry the halves apart, I soldered 4 pairs of L-shaped metal plates on both sides of the seam about 1-1/2 inches apart, 2 at the front, in middle of the bends, and 2 at the rear at both side of the end. 

The L-plates had holes where I put a threaded bar through. And with nuts, I could put a fair bit of parting pressure on the seam at the same time heating a portion until the seam parted a little bit at the time. And repeat several times. I used a gasol burner with a flat wide nozzle.

There was no way to heat the whole length of the seam in one go, I had to take a portion of the seam at the time. The curves at the front and especially rear was hardest to get apart. First operation was to separate the straight portions on the tank top and bottom. I did that by heating and carefully push in between bits of thin saw blades in order to prevent them to fuse again.

Last modified: 07 Feb 2017 5:36 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 07 Feb 2017 5:04 PM
    Reply # 4596628 on 4594680
    Anonymous

Thanks for that very informative contribution Carl ! ........... noted well.

• 12 Feb 2017 5:42 PM
    Reply # 4605825 on 4594680
    Anonymous

For those aspirants ..........who are brazen enough to attempt their own tank refurbishment ..........their is a comprehensively in depth article, found in the 101 Associations Shop Manual.  Found on Page 22A, it was compiled by our esteemed founder and Patriarch, George L. Yarocki.  The Late George Yarocki, goes on to describe an in depth process, conducted by Paul Coleman.  An ideal step by step approach .........for those who possess sheet metal fabrication skills.  

An extract from The 101 Associations Manual

"Please be advised ............if you possess, little or no mechanical ability, or have a careless attitude ........don't start.  Get someone else to do it."

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.