The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Kickstart crank stop studs

• 03 Mar 2017 11:06 AM
    Message # 4645840
    Anonymous

Hi, The kick start crank stop on my '31 came with two bolts of an incorrect thread inserted and I ordered two kick start crank stop studs from Walker machine. The studs from Walker's are as follows;

fine thread 5/16" long, unthreaded shank just over 3/16" and coarser threaded portion about 1/2" long.

The threaded holes are too mangled to check the fit by screwing in but depth of the threaded holes in the frame is about 5/16" deep. So on the face of it the short portion of the stud with the finer thread should go in the frame. However I assume it is the coarse thread which should be located in the frame but this may leave the plain bit of the shank too high to bolt down.

So, what am I missing? Which portion of the stud should go in the frame; if it is the coarser thread, is the thread on the stud too long or the hole too shallow or is it just supposed to be like this?

Thanks

Graham

• 04 Mar 2017 12:32 PM
    Reply # 4647749 on 4645840

If you have the R&O there is a list of all screws, bolts, studs and nuts on the bike, arranged by size, thread, part number, how many is used in an assembly and part list name.

Kick starter stop nut(s) is 1/4-24. So the finer thread is going in the frame.

Last modified: 04 Mar 2017 12:36 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 04 Mar 2017 1:56 PM
    Reply # 4647849 on 4645840
    Anonymous

Hi Carl-Eric, thanks for the pointer (I'm not an engineer so apologies if I have this wrong). I look at the R&O but  it shows stop stud part no 24B55 as  1/4 24 so this indicates the thread should be the same both end doesn't it? However I tried the coarse end and it fits the lower chainguard stud hole in the gearbox which according to the manual is 1/4 20/24. I don't have a thread gauge but holding the stud up to a rule and manually counting it looks to me as if he thread is 20 on the long side and 24 on the short side and if the nut is 1/4 24 then the frame end must be 1/4 20 and the frame end must be he coarse end?

• 05 Mar 2017 4:20 AM
    Reply # 4648721 on 4645840

Actually, I haven't had that stud removed on any of my frames and I only assumed that Walker sent you the right stud that should be there. In your question you only spoke about fine and coarse thread so my next assumption was that the 1/4-24 was the coarse end! 

I am glad that you brought this up, I made a note of your findings in my R&O. I wrote that list to my best ability but I didn't have all fasteners at hand at that moment and as I said before, that stud wasn't removed in any of my frames. 

So, anyone out there would you please confirm the threads in the frame for the kicker stopper to Graham. Is it 24 or 20 or any other pitch?

• 06 Mar 2017 12:46 PM
    Reply # 4651027 on 4645840
    Anonymous

I contacted Randy in the end and he replies as follows:

Course thread in frame should be tapped deeper.

Chain guard stud sometimes needs to be ground off if hole is short.

So problem solved but I wonder if the later 1931 frames are different as  the hole is definately not deep enough for the stud. I see from the parts book that the studs were changed to bolts in 1932 and bolts are what were in my frame albeit with mangled threads.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.