The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Front hub assembly

• 11 Mar 2017 1:38 PM
    Message # 4661062
    Anonymous

I put the front hub together and thought it was OK but today I tried the brakeplate and found the right outside hollow axle nut is too proud and the hollow axle does not fit flush with the nut. I am going to have another go but any help/guidance before I start would be appreciated.

• 12 Mar 2017 8:38 AM
    Reply # 4661840 on 4661062

Don't take it personally Graham, I just giving a general advice.

In many cases the questioner is giving too little details to draw any conclusions and give any advice...There's a number of data that is needed for someone that can't see what you got. 

Year model or version is basic data and sometimes enough to state. In this case, a full list of details may not be needed but at least some of- ball bearing hub/roller bearing/new/old parts/measures/arrangements done/modifications/previous problems, would be nice.

At the brake plate side, parts are just stacked and screwed in bottom, so it is a matter of if the parts are correctly combined, if something extra is added or new/old parts are assembled that makes measures wrong. I haven't checked at the moment as my parts is in boxes in my shed, but it might very well be so with all original details put together, that the threaded part on the hollow shaft is shorter than the assembled parts so the nut is sticking out a bit. Then, the rockers lock the nut safely when the wheel axle is torqued.

Last modified: 12 Mar 2017 8:47 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 12 Mar 2017 8:58 AM
    Reply # 4661845 on 4661062
    Anonymous

Ok thanks Carl-Eric, I should have said it's a 1931 with roller bearings.

• 12 Mar 2017 9:07 AM
    Reply # 4661847 on 4661062

For ball bearing hubs, the brake plate side nut 28 B 319 is 5,6mm thick. The other side nut 27 B 231, is 8mm thick for the adjustable bearing race.

For roller bearing hubs, the brake plate side nut is the same 28 B 319, 5,6mm thick. The other side nut 35 B 772, is 6,2mm thick

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.