The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

crank stop studs

• 22 May 2017 10:32 AM
    Message # 4845740

The forward hole in the casting for my kicker crank stop studs (I thought they were going to be bolts, but I see the R&O lists studs...) had a broken off stud in it.  When I drilled and re-tapped that hole I was able to run the drill and tap deep into the casting.  However, for the rear hole it appears the frame tube is brazed in below the hole and the hole is shallow as a result, about .2" deep is all which means a stud will be in there with five or six threads.

Is this normal?  Or do I possibly have another broken stud in there?  Thanks!

• 26 May 2017 12:17 PM
    Reply # 4854408 on 4845740

I'm going to proceed with the understanding that both the holes in the casting for the kicker stop are shallow and are intended to hold studs.

• 26 May 2017 3:13 PM
    Reply # 4854544 on 4845740

I can't really help as I don't have had any of those bolts off or broken in any of my frames, but I would be really surprised if I found a shallow threaded hole as you describe. How long is the threaded part on the stud? Normally a stud is threaded in all it's thread length. Bad engineering (and ugly) to leave the weaker threaded part of a stud in the air...

Last modified: 26 May 2017 3:15 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 30 May 2017 10:14 AM
    Reply # 4859677 on 4845740

Confirmed with two others that have bare frames at the moment, the holes are shallow, about .25", enough for five or six threads.  Walker sells studs for that location, they have a picture but the picture is tiny so you cannot really see very much, however it does appear to be a stud with one short end!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.