The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Tyres/Tires for 101

• 28 Jun 2017 10:24 AM
    Message # 4921934
    Anonymous

Looking to get some new tyres for drop centre rims and wondering what make/model currently on the market would be a good choice? Looking at Avon Safety Mileage MKII AM7 as one option. Thoughts?

I take it that 4.00-18" for both front & rear would be correct?

• 28 Jun 2017 5:39 PM
    Reply # 4923001 on 4921934

The Avon Safety Mileage mk II is a tire intended for rear fitment only. Unfortunately Avon does not currently supply a classic front tire in 4.00-18 size. The Dunlop K70, on the other hand, is a tire intended for either front or rear fitment and is available in 4.00-18. I've got nothing but good things to say about this tire. I just spent 3 days and 850 miles tearing up the backroads of Northern California on my '69 Triumph 500 which is fitted with K70s front and rear. I'm not the fastest rider around, but I'm no slouch either. The tires on my bike are a little long in the tooth, manufactured in 2012 or so, but still in good shape. I didn't have a single "moment" when the roadholding of my tires was in question, pavement or dirt. K70s do tend to "square off" a bit as they wear, but this has never been a problem for me. When the center groove gets very shallow (i.e. tire is worn out) they become very susceptible to puncture. I've picked up a nail or construction staple more times than I'd care to count when I was simultaneously thinking that it was time for a new tire. Oh yeah, Dunlop K70s are very affordable, too! That's my two cents, anyway...

• 29 Jun 2017 6:17 AM
    Reply # 4923615 on 4921934
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

yup, K70 is a good choice. I like them , wear/price/ feel / look all good.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.