The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Hello, new member new.

• 19 Jul 2017 2:23 PM
    Message # 4985051
    Deleted user

Hi, greetings from Dublin, Ireland.

Currently I don't own an Indian Scout but hopefully in the future, distant probably! I'd like to get one as a restoration/basket case project.

I've signed up to get information and advice. I plan on buying the Workshop Manual sold through the association, it does contain parts lists exploded diagrams etc?

My own bike I'm working on at the moment is a 1949 BSA C11 250cc. I bought that as a basket case, my first project and I'm really enjoying the work, slow as it is. It's about 80% finished.

• 20 Jul 2017 6:46 PM
    Reply # 4987142 on 4985051

The R&O is containing not so many exploded diagrams. The main goal when George started the R&O, and how it developed, was aimed to describe and identify parts so it contains a lot of drawings. Drawings was a lot of help in the early days without internet when you have an incomplete bike or mixed basket case. Very valuable then when you had to copy or replicate unobtainable parts, and very valuable when searching for parts on a used parts market. 

The importance of that is a bit lesser nowadays with  a chain of very reputable repro parts providers and dealers that has very informative parts pictures, and access to a vast amount of other pictures on the web and almost instant contact with very engaged people all over, email, forums, blogs and facebook stuff. 

Assembly with the help of R&O has to be a bit intuitive, but there is assembly advice and valuable tips where it takes some special attention to put things together. A lot of help can be had from other dealer sites with exploded views of mainly Chief models, as assembly is similar in many cases. 

A motorcycle is very complex and the R&O is not complete, there is lists of bolts and nuts, paint plating and finishes and most but not all tolerances & specifications and a lot of other valuable stuff. But you need to keep an eye open for advice and tips, write down and update your R&O with notes in the margin. 

Last modified: 22 Jul 2017 12:35 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 21 Jul 2017 1:24 AM
    Reply # 4987455 on 4985051

And, of course, very much welcome in the club, Glascott! 

• 21 Jul 2017 2:25 AM
    Reply # 4987488 on 4985051
    Deleted user

Thanks for the advice. I've come across a few people who make reproduction parts. I also found a dealer/restoration guy in LA who works mainly in Chiefs, he has a few videos on YouTube showing how disassembled and rebuild Chief engine, gearbox and carb.

As I say I'm a long way off buying a Scout, but I find it interesting reading up and looking  through technical guides in the meantime.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.