The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

new here, odd engine number, help?

• 24 Aug 2017 8:40 AM
    Message # 5045307
    Deleted user

Hello, I recently had a 101 engine and trans fall from the sky. The serial number is ECP1525 which makes no sense by everything I have read. It has later 6 or 741 heads and jugs ( I presume)  Any insights into the serial number? 

Thank you, 

Matt 

Cream Ridge, NJ

• 25 Aug 2017 12:51 PM
    Reply # 5047927 on 5045307

they used ECI... for 30.50ci 'Junior Scout' untill 1939

maybe it is EGP ... instead of ECI ...,   that's for the 1930   101   45ci

for sale ? 

• 25 Aug 2017 8:28 PM
    Reply # 5048977 on 5045307

You can "kind of" determine when the 101 crankcase is manufactured by the crankcase ventilation hole. Does it have just one big hole between the cam compartment and crankcase, then it is manufactured about 1930-31. 

I believe, almost certain that 1500-2000 engines in the very last batch of DGP motors got the new version of ventilation, but if they were sold as 1929 or 1930 bikes is not clear as the factory did have the device at the time "no yearly models, only constant improvement" so the manuf. year is not written in stone, but it is a hint. Anyhow the consensus today is that engines/bikes as year models 1930-31 are stamped EGP.

A batch of those late DGP engines got a nickel plated steel cover plate over the ventilation hole on the left hand crankcase, but later on the left hand crankcase are blank, undrilled.  

Replacement cases for broken engines could be ordered from the factory stamped with the factory font stamp and same number that was in the registration card for the bike. 

Of course with replacement cases it could sneak in mistakes in numbering or lettering by the guy/girl that did the stamping, the spare parts was taken from a pile of old stock in a later year, unclear order text had to be interpreted, and stamping was done probably not by the seasoned regular person out on the production line. Maybe that is what you have, a replacement case stamp mistake?

Unstamped cases can be found out on the market so that must have been sent to shops and dealers, probably intended to be stamped by some representative dealers with factory stamps. But as years went by, factory went bust and stuff changed hands went to be stamped in independent shops and by owners with what at hand, so some funny font stamp letters and numbers can be found. All bodged stamps does not have to be thievery or intended illegal from the beginning. 

Last modified: 25 Aug 2017 8:55 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 26 Aug 2017 6:45 AM
    Reply # 5049470 on 5045307
    Deleted user

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.