The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Corbin Speedometers

• 05 Oct 2017 11:24 AM
    Message # 5296828

Is anyone out there manufacturing new repro Corbin style speedos.

I reckon that there is not much in the can that a decent clock /watch maker can't make ?

Mike.

• 07 Oct 2017 8:48 AM
    Reply # 5301255 on 5296828

Hi Mike,

No 101 speedometer? Me too. I doubt reproductions will ever be made.

I have three Indians with retro-looking GPS speedometers (one a tank mount on a Scout, two on Chief handlebars).  I love them. Work great.

So I'm thinking: Why not get the almost original look PLUS super-accurate speed AND odometer, trip, hours, compass heading and more (like illuminated dial)? 

Buy a retro-looking black dial analog needle AutoMeter 3-3/8 in. (body) Old Tyme Black Series No. 1749 GPS speedometer (List $349.95). Has 3-3/4 in. bezel, close to original Corbin.

Put it in Autometer’s 3-3/8 in. black cup No. 5204 (List $34.95). With speedometer installed stands 3-1/4 in. tall. Cut cup down to get 2-3/4 in. if you want to more closely match a old Corbin.

Modify cup so antennae wire and voltage wires exit horizontally at cup side at base.

Hide the 16 feet of fine coaxial cable (don't cut) and the voltage lines in reproduction or old original Corbin drive cable cover installed at hole you made at base side. Just bunch antennae wire inside cover. Antennae wire ends in a small black magnetic antenna – place inconspicuously on front of seat yoke or on rear fender (must have access to sky).

Mount cup to top tube with reproduction bracket from the folks in Brzeg, Poland (www.Oldtimerpartsweb.com).

And voila! Looks like your 101 has an original speedometer (well almost). And this one is accurate!

Power with one of many 12 volt lithium battery backs with an on/off switch, such as TalentCell 12v 6000mAh, and mount (almost) hidden under seat.

Must use suppression ignition wiring to avoid interfering with the GPS signal. Get and install 8mm lacquered cloth covered original-looking ignition (but suppression) wiring sets from LowBrow Customs. Available in "oak" with red and black tracers or black with red tracers (just $39.95).

May or may not work. The AutoMeter GPS speedometers are very sensitive to signal interference even with supression ignition. Placement is critical and I'm uncertain if a tank mount on a 101 with a magneto would work. If it doesn't work, use the speedometer on the handlebars of another Indian with a non-working or inaccurate speedometer.

Let me know if it works. Then I'll make one up for my 101!

OK, then, maybe I'll go first.

Bob Lodge

• 16 Oct 2017 3:30 PM
    Reply # 5317258 on 5296828

Hi Bob, some interesting points there.  Any idea of the exact diameter and height of the Corbin can ?  Anyone know the size of the cable drive thread fitting that is on the side of the can ? (Diameter and tpi .)

• 16 Oct 2017 5:10 PM
    Reply # 5317411 on 5296828

May as well install a reproduction Corbin speedometer face onto the modern...except I see they cost $150, just for the face!  Never mind!

• 24 Oct 2017 10:41 PM
    Reply # 5341772 on 5317258
    Mike Byrne wrote:

Hi Bob, some interesting points there.  Any idea of the exact diameter and height of the Corbin can ?  Anyone know the size of the cable drive thread fitting that is on the side of the can ? (Diameter and tpi .)

Not sure. I sent off this morning my 3 uninstalled Corbins to Terry Marsh. All others are installed and hard to measure the cans.

But I extracted today the guts of an Autometer GPS speedometer and found I could match its face (properly a "dial") with a 120 MPH repro Corbin face plate. 60 mph at the top. And I can switch them, one plate off for the other. Just a slight deviation between the two in the speed markings at the initial and final extremes. Guts will fit in either an Autometer can or a Corbin can (with Corbin bezel/glass) if you can find one.

A supremely accurate GPS speedometer in a historically Corbin appearance is the goal. I think I can do it. But is not a pleasure! I hate this.  A poor substitute of modern accuracy instead of the pleasure of an old and original mechanical device, no matter how imprecise.  Yes, i'm not taking pleasure in this artificial substitute. But it gives a speedometer and with an attached driveline, few could tell is not original.

Still, for anyone lacking a speedometer, it beats clamping your smart phone with a GPS app on the handlebars.

Let me see how this comes out. If its good I'll offer the details.

Any others working on this?

Bob

• 25 Oct 2017 7:09 PM
    Reply # 5356286 on 5296828

Not a bad idea really. I don't like to have my speedo connected for everyday use because of the speed the chain has to make in the old sheath, and the added wear on a unrefurbished speedo, probably loose and worn. The ideal input to the speedo is 2560 revolutions per mile, 50mph=0,83 mile/min. 2560x0,83 = 2133 revs/min at 50mph.

Last modified: 25 Oct 2017 7:13 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 19 Nov 2017 8:17 PM
    Reply # 5593900 on 5296828
    Mike Byrne wrote:

Is anyone out there manufacturing new repro Corbin style speedos.

I reckon that there is not much in the can that a decent clock /watch maker can't make ?

Mike.

You can see instructions and build for yourself what is in a can:

Get a Corbin GPS speedometer for $600.00

Bobsindians.blogspot.com

• 19 Nov 2017 8:43 PM
    Reply # 5593924 on 5301255
    Robert Lodge wrote:

Hi Mike,

No 101 speedometer? Me too. I doubt reproductions will ever be made.

I have three Indians with retro-looking GPS speedometers (one a tank mount on a Scout, two on Chief handlebars).  I love them. Work great.

So I'm thinking: Why not get the almost original look PLUS super-accurate speed AND odometer, trip, hours, compass heading and more (like illuminated dial)? 

Buy a retro-looking black dial analog needle AutoMeter 3-3/8 in. (body) Old Tyme Black Series No. 1749 GPS speedometer (List $349.95). Has 3-3/4 in. bezel, close to original Corbin.

Put it in Autometer’s 3-3/8 in. black cup No. 5204 (List $34.95). With speedometer installed stands 3-1/4 in. tall. Cut cup down to get 2-3/4 in. if you want to more closely match a old Corbin.

Modify cup so antennae wire and voltage wires exit horizontally at cup side at base.

Hide the 16 feet of fine coaxial cable (don't cut) and the voltage lines in reproduction or old original Corbin drive cable cover installed at hole you made at base side. Just bunch antennae wire inside cover. Antennae wire ends in a small black magnetic antenna – place inconspicuously on front of seat yoke or on rear fender (must have access to sky).

Mount cup to top tube with reproduction bracket from the folks in Brzeg, Poland (www.Oldtimerpartsweb.com).

And voila! Looks like your 101 has an original speedometer (well almost). And this one is accurate!

Power with one of many 12 volt lithium battery backs with an on/off switch, such as TalentCell 12v 6000mAh, and mount (almost) hidden under seat.

Must use suppression ignition wiring to avoid interfering with the GPS signal. Get and install 8mm lacquered cloth covered original-looking ignition (but suppression) wiring sets from LowBrow Customs. Available in "oak" with red and black tracers or black with red tracers (just $39.95).

May or may not work. The AutoMeter GPS speedometers are very sensitive to signal interference even with supression ignition. Placement is critical and I'm uncertain if a tank mount on a 101 with a magneto would work. If it doesn't work, use the speedometer on the handlebars of another Indian with a non-working or inaccurate speedometer.

Let me know if it works. Then I'll make one up for my 101!

OK, then, maybe I'll go first.

Bob Lodge

Mike. I went first. 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.