The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Front hub crack.

• 06 Oct 2017 1:02 PM
    Message # 5299557

Hey guys. Just noticed this crack in the front hub flange. I am thinking about pulling the spokes and taking it to a welder to see if it can be repaired. What do you all think?  Am I being way to optimistic?  Is this area under to much tension to even attempt a fix. I am thinking it’s worth trying to save the original part but I am thinking it’s in a dangerous area if it fails. 

Any thoughts?

https://flic.kr/p/ZbN4pt

https://flic.kr/p/C5H4XU

Last modified: 06 Oct 2017 1:04 PM | Daniel Quinn
  • 07 Oct 2017 3:54 AM
    Reply # 5301083 on 5299557

You got a few choises. 

Based on what can be seen on the pics it looks like a impact damage, not a fatigue break. The hub may hide some invisible cracks somewhere.

I don't think that area is subjected to a overly lot of tension or a ovely lot of varied strain, but because both sides of the flange are machined, there is no room to leave any weld material except precisely the thickness of the existing material.

Of course it can be welded, turned, machined or ground back to very close to original. That takes some expert welding to build up a new bit of flange with a flawless weld remaining. On top of that there is holes to be drilled right in the weld for the spokes. 

The bits could be brazed, but that isn't restoring the full strength. 

What will happen if a bit of the flange brakes off entirely?  The wheel looses stability, the rim becomes warped and a few loose spoke ends starts to flail about.

There is an excellent repro hub readily assembled with a new brake drum to be bought or you can try to find a used one.

I would explore those alternatives first. 

Last modified: 07 Oct 2017 10:36 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 13 Oct 2017 3:13 PM
    Reply # 5312837 on 5299557

Ok so I got my new hub. I sourced it from cwsmoto out of Poland. I am very happy with the quality of the part. The machining looks excellent. 

Anyway, I took my old hub to a local machine shop to have the bearing races pulled. I was told that there is no way they are getting them out in reusable condition. Am I looking for the impossible? Can this be done or should I just bite the bullet and order new bearings from walker?  I hate to do that as the original bearings look to be in perfect shape. I dont think there are many miles on theses, I would hate to replace them. I don’t think I can get races separately to go with my old bearings. Should bearings/races stay together as a set? Meaning should new races go with new rollers or would it be ok to use new races with my old bearings if I can find some. Any thoughts?

• 14 Oct 2017 10:22 AM
    Reply # 5313771 on 5299557

Isn't the new hub fitted with common Timken conical roller bearings?? It would be daft if not! Roller bearings is a such vast improvement both in stability, ease of service, adjustment and rate of wear over the loose ball bearings so it is a no brainer. If that is not the case I would modify them to take that or common ball bearings because the older loose ball bearing is nothing to strive to use (in fact I would contemplate send the hub back and complain!). If you got Timkens, the outer race is a part of a new bearing even if sold separately and I wouldn't bother use the old race even if they were looking good...

The older loose ball bearing outer race is a pain in the ass. I know they can sit like hell in the hub and are quite fragile as they are thin at the rear wall. But if you are lucky they might be extractable. That goes for the Timken race too. It is a matter of getting a gap at the rear where a collar extractor can grip the edge. Brute force might fracture the race so you got heat and cold to work with. Heat the hub and chill the race with some really cold stuff, like co2 dry ice. Maybe you have a company that work with air con, cryo tech, laboratory, or the like near you. Chill and bang the hub against wood or the like, then you might get lucky that they fall out or get a grip with an extractor to pull with. Good luck!

Last modified: 14 Oct 2017 10:43 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 14 Oct 2017 1:06 PM
    Reply # 5313904 on 5299557

No bearing race preinstalled in the new hub. Yes my bike has the conical roller bearings. I would like to get new races only if I can. Is there a problem with mating my rollers with a new cone race?  Are they supposed to be matched?  I’m thinking not but just want to make sure. Do we have a part number for Timken part number for the bearings so I can see if I can order just the races?  Does anyone know where I can get just the cone races separate?

• 15 Oct 2017 4:03 AM
    Reply # 5314606 on 5299557

It is standard bearings, and they are sold separately in 2 pieces, inner race with rollers and the outer race. Timken #1729 and #1779. Should be available at any bearing shop. Recommended is to change both parts at the same time as they wear together. The old hub or place the race was mounted is distorting the race a bit and the rollers have worn a pattern in the race. Remounting the race could alter the surface and in time ruin the bearing. Now, the wheel is turning slow, the load is light and the play is a lot larger than say in a presicion high speed machinery so the danger is not imminent or severe assembling an old bearing, but a quick check on the net finds the cost of a new complete bearing is about $35. 

Last modified: 15 Oct 2017 4:13 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 15 Oct 2017 10:00 AM
    Reply # 5315403 on 5299557

Thank you Carl-Erik 

I was thinking that was the case. It makes sense to keep sets together. 

New bearings it will be. 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.