The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

101 Facebook “parts/swap” vs 101 Association discussion forum.

• 27 Nov 2017 6:57 PM
    Message # 5603504

I’m new OK, get over it; but I see that the 101 Facebook site for “parts and swaps” is getting to be like a visual “Virtual Indian” site for technical discussions but just for 101’s. I suspect this merging was a matter discussed by the 101 Association board.

Being new, I have no idea when (or if) the association board posts it’s meeting‘s minutes.

So, when I just had a 101 technical issue to present, I purposely respected the difference and posted to the 101 Association Discussion Forum, though I suspect I would get more of a prompt attention from the FB site participants

Just sayn’

Getting confusing.

Bob

• 27 Nov 2017 8:03 PM
    Reply # 5603576 on 5603504

Respectfully sumbitted, certainly. And humbly submitted as a new member. I am fully appreciative of any access to the expertise by whatever platform.

Just seems to be a potential issue of cross purposes.

Anyhow, in an earlier “shakedown” run of my new 101, less fast on rough roads, the DU-5 quit charging. It has the mechanical cut-out and I can not see anything wrong. Actually, whatI see I do not understand.

Now I have no battery charging, no fuel tank, and a possible primary/gear box oil leak.

That 101 was sure a fun bike while it lasted! I took it where I’d never take a Chief or my 741. It does encourage doing the extraordinary. 

Now that I shook out all its weaknesses, what I have left, I have a winter to rebuild (hopefully) “tough.”

Cool bike! I see what the fuss is about.

Bob

• 28 Nov 2017 9:02 AM
    Reply # 5604264 on 5603504
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hey Bob, all resources are good. Don't do facebook personally, not sure who sets up the page you are talking about, its not us. We did not get around to discussing it either at the meeting, I will try and have a look soon. 

Best to ask in both places , perhaps, and sort thru the variety of replies. You would be welcome to repost any info you get here, and we could comment on it. 

We have discussed collating information available and issuing an addendum to the R&O, but it is a huge job, may take some toime, as all information needs to be verified, and sources considered. 

regards,

Tim

• 05 Dec 2017 3:45 PM
    Reply # 5614174 on 5603504

I think for parts finding that the Facebook site is okay (but you kinda have to be on there constantly to get anything), but for any sort of discussion or guidance it is not very good.  I see lots of incorrect answers to questions, but most troubling to me is the "high school" mentality of some users who seem to enjoy massaging their egos by either trying to "one-up" someone or by posting something that makes others feel bad.  Recently, for example, a guy reported how bad the parts were that he got from someone who makes parts, and others piled on just in case anyone missed the first insult.  Seems he ordered a custom built cast aluminum tank for his Cannonball entry and was upset that the threads for the cap weren't original Indian thread pitch.  Pretty much it's about expectations, nothing wrong with the tank but he expected one thing and got another, poor communication is not a good reason to trash someone's reputation on Facebook.  In that instance, one of the people who piled on even insulted the parts manufacturer's physical handicap, pretty disgusting way to enjoy a hobby I think!

• 06 Dec 2017 10:32 AM
    Reply # 5615147 on 5603504
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Thank you , Harry, you have made several very good points there.

As an organisation, we exist to help other enthusiasts enjoy the world of antique motorcycles, by exchanging information . Hopefully correct information. If I offered incorrect information, i would hope that the wealth of knowledge among the membership would help me correct my mistake, and I would learn from it. 

I would consider it quite impolite for someone to belittle me or expose my many faults in public and it will not happen on this forum or in this club.

Social media such as facebook has its place, but it is easy for uncorroberated information to be disseminated as fact, and for people to set themselves up as experts in a field with the benefit of a few pictures and wisecrack comments. It is also easy to make the mistake of commenting angrily or foolishly, and having your words pinged around the world before you have a chance to regret them and withdraw them. I hope the people in question on the particular case you mentioned can bring themselves to apologise for making crass statements publicly, if not, I guess the world will see them and their comments from a different perspective in future.

A friend tells me that the facebook page is a great vehicle to sell parts to make money, perhaps this forum could become a great place to exchange and sell parts to help ourselves and others keep our motorcycles on the road at a reasonable cost ?

• 08 Dec 2017 3:32 AM
    Reply # 5620298 on 5603504
    Anonymous

Well said Tim 

• 17 Dec 2017 9:02 PM
    Reply # 5631842 on 5603504
    Anonymous

I like the Face Book 101 site. I've had some questions answered there. But, so have I here. With great and thorough advice I might add.

You need to sort thru wrong advice there too.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.