The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

handlebar rise?

• 22 Jan 2018 1:07 PM
    Message # 5696012

Hi, when I view George's drawing in the R&O for handlebars, 1928-1930, it shows 4 1/2" off the table from the last bend to the ends where the grips are, a flat profile for that final run of tubing.  I'm replacing the RH bar on mine and when I put it on the table and measure, the LH bar which appears to be unmolested, is about 5" off the table at the last bend and then it rises to 6 1/4" at the end of the bar. 

My inclination is to match the new bar rise to the old bar (of course!) but I'm curious if George's 4 1/2" dimension is critical?  Obviously there are no tank/frame interference issues with a slightly higher bar, and I'm of average height (6') so I don't think that will be an issue, I'm more curious if anyone has run into this before and will it look odd?

Thanks!

• 23 Jan 2018 7:25 AM
    Reply # 5697336 on 5696012

In -30 there was a taller handlebar available. My opinion is that it might have appeared already in late -29. But I might remember wrong and the tall one appeared mid or late -30, just before the new 31 headlight came with the new center piece. 

The new taller handlebar could be had without or with a spotlight bar welded on, but I think later on and at least in -31, the welded on spotlight bar became standard.

I don't know if the tall one was standard or an option, and that the lower handlebar became option. Anyhow, -31 handlebars is that tall.

Bolt on spotlight bars was an accessory option from very early, already in the PP times.

Last modified: 23 Jan 2018 7:46 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 23 Jan 2018 9:10 AM
    Reply # 5697815 on 5696012
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Higher bar could be handy too, as the lower ones can be a little close to the knees when turning full lock, depending on your height. Funnily enough, I straightened a pair for a customer yesterday that had approx the same dimensions as yours. 

My old 28 short frame , sold a few years back (sheds tear slightly) had really wide bars on it, that cleared the knees easily. Shame I never took dimensions off it. 

As for matching one bar to the other, yes , thats what I did yesterday too. If both bars are a mess, I go with the dimensions in the R&O, if one side looks pretty good, I just match the bent side to that, less manipulation of old tubing the better, in my humble opinion.

cheers,

Tim

ps hope you are recording all this stuff as you go along, Mike. Maybe as time goes by we can start collating some of this info into one place as an addendum to the R&O. A list of areas where you have run into a shortage of info would be great.

• 27 Jan 2018 10:57 PM
    Reply # 5705326 on 5696012
    Anonymous

Good idea Tim ...easily accessed tech tips are always needed.  Gold !

• 28 Jan 2018 8:48 AM
    Reply # 5705578 on 5696012
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)
    Sorry, Harry, typed Mike thinking it was Mike Byrne. Likewise, keep a record of issues you find, and let me know how you sort them, and what info was useful, and how you found it.

Tim

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.