The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Handlebar grip control sleeve stop

• 13 Mar 2018 10:28 PM
    Message # 5970550

This threaded stop is pinned to the handlebars, but does this mean it's riveted?  As in peened flat inside and outside?  There's no way the pin can go all the way through and not interfere with the cable, right?

• 14 Mar 2018 3:43 PM
    Reply # 5978917 on 5970550

Hi Harry,

Good question. On my '28 101 Scout, the answer is yes AND no. The left side has a pin that goes all the way thru and the right side has a pin that looks like it is peened over on the inside. There may be 2 pins on the right side, I can't tell for certain.

My bike had a pretty rough life, so I am not sure that either side is original or a repair. Let me know if you'd like to see a picture of either side.

Dave  

• 14 Mar 2018 5:11 PM
    Reply # 5978993 on 5970550

Thanks Dave!  My handlebars were mangled on one side, the RH side, so I'm putting a new one in.  The LH side is original and pinned with one pin that is peened like a rivet I guess, and there's also a second hole opposite that but it's empty. 

I can't see how a pin all the way through wouldn't interfere with the cable routing, but where it was pinned at the bottom, near the center casting, the pin does go all the way through.

So I ask!  Pretty much decided to go with a pair of short pins on the new RH bar, and installing another short pin on the LH side where the empty hole is.

But I haven't done it yet!  And... it does seem like a pin all the way through would be more secure!

• 19 Mar 2018 5:23 AM
    Reply # 5985854 on 5970550
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Maybe pinned either side to locate before silver soldering/brazing? Never seen a pin all the way thru, Harry.Shouldn't be too hard to insert a peened dowel from the inside, thin insert a hard mandrel up bar to locate and push out pins, so that the outside can then be peened/rivetted, similar method to pinning of inlet manifold stubs.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.