The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

External Shaft Oil Leaks

• 18 Mar 2018 10:06 PM
    Message # 5985631

After initial startup on a fresh DG motor, oil leaks developed out of the generator drive shaft & the kickstart 'driven' shaft. Theoretically these should have new felts in them, BUT . . . is there something about this situation I need to understand?.

Also, Has there been a better seal system developed or am I just being impatient?

Any advice is gratefully recieved

• 19 Mar 2018 5:18 AM
    Reply # 5985838 on 5985631
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Check oil levels, level  plug below clutch worm drive. Excess oil will find a way out fast.

Walkers sell a drive side bearing retainer with a  modern seal in it, can be a touch tight on the threads if they are unworn. Original set up often works pretty well tho. Small oil seal can be fitted to genny drive too , requires machining a new bush, they may be a tech tip on this somewhere, if not there should be. . Will see if I can find one.

I am a little relaxed about oil leaks, I have to say. Most bikes of this age will generally weep from a variety of places, but with a little time and effort  you can certainly almost eliminate most of them. There is also a tendency for early leaks to slow and almost stop as felts become saturated and then clogged with oil and dirt. 

Weeps do of course prevent parts from corroding, but nothing should be bad enough to be spraying oil over your back wheel and brake. 

Any problem with the engine breather can magnify leaks too, particularly early days as the rings are bedding in. 

• 19 Mar 2018 5:57 PM
    Reply # 5988082 on 5985631

Thanks Tim, as the leaks arent excessive I'll take the "dont worry, be happy" approach while checking the basics for starters. It had ocurred to me that the felts may still be taking their time "waking up before work".

We appreciate your advice. Cheers, Louie & Jim

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.