The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Scout 101 front motor mount

• 04 May 2018 6:11 PM
    Message # 6135208

Hey guys,what outside diameter is the front motor mount bolt that goes horizontly across the frame & engine supposed to be? My frame casting & motor cases have a little larger than 5/8" hole,[cases are worn]  I was going to have the case & flange bushings machined to be inserted into cases, a little longer on 1 case half to bridge the split & make this a stronger mounting,because my cases have some cracking in that area that was welded. Then make necessary spacers to makeup the gap between frame & motor.My motor cases like others I've seen have weld repairs done already. Is this front mount supposed to be a tight fit?  thanks for your time,Rex

• 05 May 2018 3:28 AM
    Reply # 6135689 on 6135208

The bolt dameter is 5/8" but the idea is not to pivot or align the engine on the bolt, instead it is clamped firmly between the frame lugs with the bolt. The inner surfaces of the frame lugs align the engine. So a precise fit of the bolt in the hole or in the frame lugs is not important as long as the bolt is tightened. A sleeve is not needed in my opinion. The distances on both sides of the engine are 1" long and has 1" diameter flanges against the engine case for support and added load spread area. 

When you tighten the front bolt, do that first without the gearbox rear bolt in the hole and check that the engine does not shift in the frame. The rear bolt has to slide in without effort and the gearbox lug has to be paralell to the frame lug. That can be checked with a feeler gauge.  If the bolt holes does not line up or you find that the gearbox lug is leaning, the frame needs adjusting.

Last modified: 05 May 2018 3:57 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 05 May 2018 7:24 PM
    Reply # 6138415 on 6135208

Thanks again Carl-Erik for another detailed explanation. 

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.