The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Front Cylinder Removal

• 03 Jun 2018 11:32 AM
    Message # 6283544

Hi,

How do you remove the front cylinder on  a 101 without removing the mag ?

Mike.

• 04 Jun 2018 3:37 AM
    Reply # 6284138 on 6283544
    Mike Byrne wrote:

Hi,

How do you remove the front cylinder on  a 101 without removing the mag ?

Mike.

Hello Mike , can be done but may have to bend some spanners into 'c' shape or 's' shape , remove exhausts and lift valve covers to get at nuts , getting mine off is maybe easier as have later scout barrels with removeable valve covers split vertically and held in place with spring clip and screw at base , best of luck . Ken

1 file
  • 04 Jun 2018 4:06 AM
    Reply # 6284144 on 6283544

Hi Ken,

I did manage it in the end and removed the exhaust valve and spring in order to get to "that" nut. Easier to remove than to replace it I guess. You can hardly get your finger in there let alone a spanner. The C shape official wrench will not move the nut any distance to get to the next flat.

I have got the split type spring covers, but no advantage there, unless perhaps an extreemly thin spanner could be used that could swing into the coils of the spring for more rotation.

I did contemplate cutting the side off a socket and then welding a suitable handle onto it and I may well do that later. I am in the process of fitting the new barrels, so old cylinders had to come off.

In between this work, the sidecar frame is now all brazed up and being prepped for paint and the mudguard and stays completed. I will post more pictures on Flickr soon.

Mike.

• 04 Jun 2018 4:24 AM
    Reply # 6284163 on 6283544
    Last modified: 04 Jun 2018 4:25 AM | Mike Byrne
  • 14 Jun 2018 6:38 AM
    Reply # 6311411 on 6283544

Nice job! There's a lot of work behind that. You should be proud. Looking forward to updates!

• 14 Jun 2018 12:29 PM
    Reply # 6312224 on 6284144
    Mike Byrne wrote:I did contemplate cutting the side off a socket and then welding a suitable handle onto it and I may well do that later. I am in the process of fitting the new barrels, so old cylinders had to come off.

Mike, I recalled a Service Shots bulletin that showed three different tools that Indian was selling, and one special wrench specifically for that front cylinder base nut.... it's what I imagine you're talking about!

YOu can see the Service Shot here:

1 file
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.