The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

calculating surface area for plating cylinders

• 07 Aug 2018 10:24 AM
    Message # 6420459

Curious to know if anyone has calculated how much surface area there is on the cylinders and heads of their 101?  I'm going to use a Caswell's plating kit to replate my cylinders and it's necessary to know how many square inches need to be plated.  It looks like a daunting task to measure each and every fin, so I'm just hoping someone has done this already and would be willing to share their calculations!  Thanks!

• 08 Aug 2018 6:46 AM
    Reply # 6422320 on 6420459
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

George Y plated a lot of cylinders using Caswells, was meticulous with notes, and details. Don't have them to hand for a bit tho, have asked Jim Garripoli if he has copies of any.

Tim R

• 10 Aug 2018 8:31 PM
    Reply # 6473291 on 6420459

Thanks Tim, I'm going to give it go at measuring things up!  It will never be exact but how could it ever be?  I've put the cylinder deck down on a piece of paper and traced the outline of the top fin, then laid a 1" x 1" grid over the tracing to get close to the square inches.  Then measured the barrel O.D. And the height of the cylinder to find the area of the barrel.  And then the lower fins are smaller so I'll need to figure those out!  If my brain doesn't short circuit I'll report my results!

• 11 Aug 2018 3:45 AM
    Reply # 6482095 on 6420459
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Sorry Harry, all info sitting in a book at shop , but I'm in the UK for  bit :(

Let us know how you go, a short report and a couple  of pics for the mag will get you a marker plate badge :)

Tim

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.