The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

DLX 64 Frozen jet

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 28 Sep 2018 8:22 PM
    Message # 6697761
    Anonymous

Hi members ...I have a DLX64 Schebler carb, with a seized jet.  Are their any recommendations, as to how I will dislidge it.  Time and its corrosive elements, has frozen it solid in situ.  I have tried ultrasonic cleaning, which has not helped.  Do ultrasonic cleaners vary in frequency strength.  Mireover, are some stronger than others ?  Any assistance will be well received.  Thanks in advance.  I have thus far rebuilt the throttle shaft with new bushes and shaft and now need to dislodge the jet.  

• 29 Sep 2018 8:47 AM
    Reply # 6698075 on 6697761

Ultrasonic is as good as the media penetration properties are. Heat expands the material different for aluminium and brass. I would try boil, or at least heat up the carb submerged in, maybe water is enough and maybe cykled with cold water. But I would try repeatedly 5 minutes in hot ATF oil maybe spiked with a little acetone or perhaps white spirit, something that lowers the surface tension even more. Then chill in fridge cold mineral spirit.

Last modified: 29 Sep 2018 8:50 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 29 Sep 2018 10:04 AM
    Reply # 6698127 on 6697761
    Anonymous

Thanks Carl ...Do I immediately chill in fridge cold mineral spirits, after the boiling hot water or hot ATF ...straight from one to the other.  The carb body is also brass.

• 30 Sep 2018 8:36 PM
    Reply # 6699984 on 6697761

Ah, forgot the body is brass, but the idea is to have the material expanding and contracting and let the oil creep in. So heat it up and plunk it in the cold spirit and heat up again and repeat. Oxide has a different expanding rate and hardness and hopefully crumble to dust so it may work. 

Last modified: 30 Sep 2018 8:39 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 01 Oct 2018 5:01 AM
    Reply # 6700490 on 6697761
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Excellent advice, this. Softly softly catchee monkey. Better to try a  lot of small temp variations than one large shock. Patience is the key. 

Any thoughts on drilling it out a little, to aid the expansion and contraction process? I assume you aren't trying to save the jet, just the body ?? Maybe tap a hole in the bottom part of the jet, to fit  a small bolt and exert light turning moment occasionally during the process?

• 01 Oct 2018 7:36 PM
    Reply # 6701702 on 6697761

Actually threading a -very short- bit into the bottom of the jet would not harm anything since the bottom hole has nothing to do with jet size or flow of gas like modern jets. The flow of gas entering the nozzle "jet size" is determined by the adjustable high speed needle and if you open that up fully the engine is flooded so the hole is far bigger in the beginning than needed for the consumption. Other things in the nozzle is important for the froth of air-petrol mix entering the venturi. The mixing starts at and with the small air-mix holes at the side of the nozzle. Every position and size has impact in the motoring, the size of the hole at the upperpart putroding into the venturi is important, the height of the nozzle is important and should be just below the center of the venturi. The rim should be horisontal and sharp. That's important. Even the outer shape, body volume taken up in the carburator stem has effect in the function. But not the bottom hole size (to a limit and depth) threaded or not! 

• 01 Oct 2018 7:57 PM
    Reply # 6701745 on 6697761

But to pull the nozzle down and out of the body, Mr. Tom Cotten, Schebler and Linkert expert, gave a very useful advice - Use a thin bowden wire. Thread it through the top of the nozzle and pull. Even gentle impact pull. The wire fitted with a solid nipple, same size as the top of the nozzle, or if the nipple is smaller, with a small C shaped washer as a shims.

• 02 Oct 2018 3:10 AM
    Reply # 6702124 on 6697761
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Good tip.  The point here being really gentle, have seen  corroded nozzles bend using this method. Then it gets really messy. 

• 04 Oct 2018 8:49 PM
    Reply # 6708048 on 6697761
    Anonymous

I just have to say ...you two guys are ‘ideas men’ ...great advice.  Truly amazing.  Thanks Carl and Tim.  Has our 101 site got the provision, which allows images to be attached to our posts and or, what would it need, to allow the image upload process ?

• 04 Oct 2018 9:26 PM
    Reply # 6708068 on 6697761
    Anonymous

I notice a problem now.  Carl states that the top of the nozzle should remain beneath the venturi and not potrude above the venturi surface.  Mine juts well above the venturi nozzle opening, by atleast a quarter of an inch.  So therefore, I assume it has been fitted with the wrong nozzle, or perhaps, they just needed a holder to store the nozzle and used this body, to store it, years ago. 

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.