The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

1929 Scout frame

• 02 Oct 2018 10:06 PM
    Message # 6704201
    Anonymous

My first post. I put together the rear wheel and I was trying to fit it in the frame

but the wheel with the spacers was to wide. The 101 manual lists the width of the frame as 8.13/16 I checked my frame and its only 8.3/8s. To me the frame doesnt looked squished in. This has been frustrating me for a couple of months. Any advice would be appreciated.

• 03 Oct 2018 5:15 PM
    Reply # 6706066 on 6704201

I used a 14 inch length of 3/8 NC grade 8 Redi  rod with 1 large washer and nut on each end of the rod inside the frame I then wound the nut and gently pushed out which spread that area out  equally on each side .You need to go 7/16 total out to get to where you need to be so that’s 7/32 per side. Just go slowly and don’t use any heat. That worked for me but let’s see if you get any other ideas from other members. Good luck! 

Last modified: 03 Oct 2018 5:18 PM | Wayne Halabura
  • 04 Oct 2018 6:30 AM
    Reply # 6706749 on 6704201
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Yep, no problem gently stretching frame a little here cold , just check both sides are even centrally. I have used a small car jack on many occasions, if one side is off centre, and one side straight, clamp straight side and frame seat post to a bench to keep it stable, and gently push the other side out. 

Probably happened when someone fitted a smaller wheel at some point. 

As an aside, the rear end is very easily distorted laterally if the wheel is not in it, so when shipping a repaired frame, always pack it with a piece of tube the correct width, bolted in snugly with a threaded rod thru the wheel mount lugs. Not only prevents shippers from crushing the frame, but acts as a handy carrying hold :)

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.