The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

1929 scout 101

• 27 Mar 2019 6:53 PM
    Message # 7248430
    Anonymous

Gooday from Australaia again. As mentioned in previous messages I finally got my Scout on the road 50 years after I stripped it down at age 13.

What I have discovered though is that it will not run at all if I hook front wire of magneto to rear cylinder and rear magneto to front cylinder. If I swap those wires around it runs great. I am assuming that somewhere someone has worked on the magneto and the cam with long and short sides has possibly been turned around.

Can this happen and if so does that mean that I could get the bike to run better than it does if I get that cam changed? I've  done about 15 miles of road test so far and it seems to be running ok. 

• 28 Mar 2019 12:11 PM
    Reply # 7249486 on 7248430

Even if the bike runs like that, something is wrong. I surely wouldn't run the engine even a short distance with that symptom. It takes some elaborate modification to get the magneto to deliver maximum current and exact timing with a modified breaker cam. Even if the breaker cam could be modified to that extent that the ignition timing is right with the front wire to the front cylinder, the magneto rotor needs to be timed so the magnetic field is shifting direction at the exact moment for best transformation strength. That is called azimut. With a V-twin, that azimut needs to be compromised a little since the best strength is 180 degrees apart. The magneto factories made a lot of research to get that just right. I suspect strongly that something is fiddled with in your magneto and not sure if it will be allright for a Scout V-twin engine. The timing and strength of the spark can be checked with a oscilloscope on a test bench.

Still, you need to get into the theoretical and mechanical workings of a magneto and check that everyting is allright, a small fault can really fry the engine and that is expensive and unneccesary.

A scientific restauration with the right knowledge and tools, with proper description and illustrated is done here by Magnetoman. It is about a rotating coil armature, not the rotating magnet as it is in the Splitdorf S-NS and RM magneto, but it shows the level of research, knowledge and presicion is needed to truly know what and how to get all things right in a magneto.

http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/508762/1

Last modified: 28 Mar 2019 1:05 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.