The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

New member, new project, where do I start?

• 22 Apr 2019 10:03 AM
    Message # 7297539
    Deleted user

Greetings,

My great grandfather purchased this indian scout in 1933. He rode it until it was old enough to pass to my grandfather, who rode it throughout the 40's and early 50's. Eventually it got parked in the shed, and only saw light when the shed got cleaned. The bike belongs to my dad, who has tasked me with getting it running. It's our goal to have this bike run to see my grandfather smile. He's getting older and still gets excited to talk about the "ol indian".

A little about my background, I'm 30 years old, I am a professional mechanic with the majority of my background in diesel engine/ medium heavy truck repair. I understand the basics of the engine but this is something that's a whole new undertaking. I would rather not send it to a restorer unless certain machining items are required.

I started by ordering the RO manual, joining this group, and i humbly wait your advice, I know for sure the wiring is all gone, the magneto cap is worn out, the fuel tank is in poor condition, and the engine leaks oil like a sieve, and has one scored cylinder. It's not locked up.

Where do I start?

1 file
  • 23 Apr 2019 9:12 AM
    Reply # 7299302 on 7297539
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hey Matthew, nice bike, welcome to 101 world. The engine number is indeed 1930, looks right for rear fender, which was hinged in 1930. You may also have a frame number on the left rear wheel frame lug, the factory started numbering frames late 1930.

Don't rush anything. First up, I would make a plan to get the bike running as is, run thru all the fork links, controls and wheels.  Even with a complete top draw restoration, I always recommend gettting the bike complete and up and running, and indeed run in, before any decisions are made about painting and plating. That way you can avoid damaging any new finishes while you fettle the bike, and you may well find that you are happier riding it that way, rather than burning thru thousands of dollars in shiny parts and paint and then being too scared to ride it. 

Are you likely to be able to get to Oley AMCA meet this weekend ? Will be a few 101s and club members there.

Work thru each item at a time, feel free to ask as much as you need on here, its a great technical resource, and club members will be able to recommend current  suppliers etc.

Feel free to call me any time 860-482-9215 (landline so may get answerphone), am in nw Connecticut. You would be most welcome to bring the bike up to the shop for a 1 day 101 orientation.

• 24 Apr 2019 2:02 PM
    Reply # 7301985 on 7297539
    Deleted user

Thanks for the reply,

I wont be able to make the show, but I've been reading about these bikes and determined I'm pretty lucky to have a good place to start.

I don't want a show bike at all, My grandfather wants it to be ridden and enjoyed, and when I get it operational, I'd like to keep some of the modifications my family has done along the way. I'm also not concerned with the final value, it's basically part of my family and priceless to me. As soon as I am ready to start working on it ill keep you updated to the progress.

I was told that this bike was purchased directly from the military in 1933, still in the crate. Do you know what the military versions (if they were any different) looked like?? Is the DLX-99 carb an upgrade or something that came with it.

Thanks

• 25 Apr 2019 3:43 AM
    Reply # 7303038 on 7297539

Hello Mathew , nice bike , glad you are going to keep it and ride it , you will enjoy it . Also nice to hear you are going to keep the age old mods , I like to see the history that past owners have installed on their rides !!

Before and during any restoration , make sure you take lots of pictures to show you where everything goes and so you can keep a history file on your families bike  . Best wishes , Ken

• 27 Apr 2019 10:04 PM
    Reply # 7307020 on 7297539
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Thats a great history to the bike. Also great that you want it as is. Personally know absolutely nothing about miltary 101s, except that there were some, and I think a member may have an nos surplus frame that was purchased from the military too. Ideal opportunity for some research.Do you have any older photographs of the bike ?

Robin Markey has a great knowledge of later military scouts, worth asking him .

I will have an ask around. 

• 03 May 2019 9:30 AM
    Reply # 7318286 on 7297539
    Anonymous

Good to see you made it to our site Mathew...welcome ! Your amongst good company and in good hands.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.