The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

fender fitting

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 26 Jun 2019 2:16 PM
    Message # 7670207

I'm hanging the sheet metal on my '29 to see how it fits.  Pretty good but I've got some gaps...in the UK I know it's important to "mind the gap" 

Rear fender is good but it doesn't go tight against the generator/seat spring plate.

And the front fender, lower bracket that bolts to the fork and rocker is way off.  My bottom fender stay is straight from fender to fork bracket, but I see there should be bend in it.  That bend is not shown very well in the R&O and I'm wondering where that bend goes and how many degrees it is? Or do I simply bend to fit?

2 files
    Last modified: 26 Jun 2019 2:20 PM | Harry Roberts
  • 26 Jun 2019 4:41 PM
    Reply # 7671735 on 7670207

On my front fender, the angle of the lower stays was determined by the angled rivet plates that joins upper and lower stays. The stays I made myself but the riveted angle plates I bought from Reno Cz. If you want I can measure the angle on lower stays, but I don't know how accurate that is to original fenders.  On my rear fender, that too had a bit of a gap, same as yours. It pulled into shape ok when I done up the bolts. I used longer bolts at first to get it closer and then stock ones were fitted. I also used a plate of steel on inside of fender to spread the load, so that the fender was not damaged. You could use large penny washers to do same job.

Mike.

1 file
  • 26 Jun 2019 4:53 PM
    Reply # 7671864 on 7670207

Hi Harry, just had a look at a load of Indian 101 photos and on some bikes, there is only a slight angle while others look like mine, as in above photo.

The actual bend looks to be around mid point of the stay in all cases.

Thinking again about your rear fender, I told you wrong, mine had to be pulled in at the front lower position. I guess it all hangs on how good the radius is of the fender and if it has been damaged or welded in the past.

Mike.

• 26 Jun 2019 5:42 PM
    Reply # 7672326 on 7670207

Thanks Mike! 

For the rear I suspected that the arc of the fender might be off, so I'll see if I can "influence" it to get closer.

For the front, however, I think I'm looking at needing a little more of a plan!  One thought I had was that I could gain something by checking where the clip that holds the fender below the springs is mounted on the fender.  The holes were pretty wallowed out and I used small diameter screws to mock it up, so maybe I can gain some height there.  But the lower stays on mine are straight, not bent like yours...so I'm having difficulty envisioning the geometry of what would happen if I put that bend in it?  I'm using the original mounting holes as well as the original riveted bracket ... but one was broken so it was welded back together.... but could have been stretched!  I'm going to play with it again tonight.

Thanks for the great picture and ideas!

Last modified: 26 Jun 2019 5:43 PM | Harry Roberts
  • 26 Jun 2019 8:40 PM
    Reply # 7674033 on 7670207

I measured up on my front fender, I think it is pretty good but no guarantee that the stay is perfect as from factory (or same on all fenders/production years...)

I think your rear fender arc is off. The fender needs to be firmly against the generator/seat spring plate or the fender will crack at the hole. The fender vibrates sideways at the rear tip end and that will/can/might crack it at the hole eventually. A good improvement would be a big reinforcement washer welded on the underside at that hole. The pressing corners at both sides for the frame/chainguard is vulnerable for cracks too.

The fender arc is consistent and perhaps the same as the front fender so you can cut a paper template of a good section of the crown and check where the kink is.

1 file
    Last modified: 29 Jun 2019 10:39 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 27 Jun 2019 9:21 AM
    Reply # 7681243 on 7670207

Thank-you Carl-Erik!  That will help a lot.

• 27 Jun 2019 9:26 AM
    Reply # 7681333 on 7670207
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Harry, will check fender bend, have a fixture here to make them, and several original ones to measure off too. Give me a couple of days, a bit hectic at the moment.

Tim

• 27 Jun 2019 5:59 PM
    Reply # 7686963 on 7670207

Thanks Tim, I’d be interested to know what they measure from rear edge to front edge in a straight line (versus over the top) as that should equate to how much arc is in them...given that they measure up to what the R&O shows for an over the top measurement.

• 11 Jul 2019 8:11 AM
    Reply # 7775153 on 7670207

I'm still hoping someone has their front wheel off and can measure the distance between front tip and rear edge in a straight line for the front fender?  Still not fitting my fender and I'd like to use the original holes as well as the original braces, but something is way off and I suspect the arc of the fender is either too flat or too tight?  Thanks!

1 file
  • 11 Jul 2019 2:53 PM
    Reply # 7775695 on 7670207

Sorry, I haven't received a notice in my mail of a new reply of this topic! My fender is fairly exact 780mm in a straight line as you described.

Last modified: 11 Jul 2019 2:54 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.