The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Indian Red Paint code?

• 29 Jun 2019 8:21 PM
    Message # 7705437

Does anyone have the correct original Indian Red paint code? 

• 30 Jun 2019 1:13 PM
    Reply # 7708581 on 7705437

Even if you would have the original receipt, it is impossible to recreate the same paint colour since the pigments are manufactured differently and the paint chemical  ingredients is completely different today. What you can do is to aim for the closest colour shade that you can live with on the bike. There is several car colours that is acceptable and used by others. Take and collect pictures of colours that you think is nice and ask the owners what paint brand and colour code they used.

George Yarocki:

The Indian red color is Dupont DAR 51049 Red. If this number doesn't work use Dupont B 8419 Midnight Canyon Red. This is a rich and dark red, a really nice color. I have been using this color for many years and on all of my AMCA judged motorcycles. The color is closer to maroon than red.

Another paint that is mentioned often is Peugeot 1164 " Rouge Amaranth"

Last modified: 03 Jul 2019 12:36 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 30 Jun 2019 11:03 PM
    Reply # 7714339 on 7705437
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Got a couple, and some original paint too, will look them out. I, personally, think most of the codes we have are a little too bright. A black primer helps deepen the colour. 

Ford Midnight Canyon Red from the 1980s is a close match from my memory on PPG codes.

Tim

• 01 Jul 2019 9:45 AM
    Reply # 7720628 on 7705437
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

WOW Volume 2 mentions DupliColor stock # DS-CC 302 Chianti Red for a 1979 Chrysler, CC Code SR5.

There's another couple of options described in Volume 42 from 2018.

• 01 Jul 2019 10:56 AM
    Reply # 7721313 on 7705437

Yup, checking up, the PPG number for Delstar Acrylic Enamel is DAR 51049

Dupont 88419 is supposed to be the equivalent, which is Midnight Canyon Red. 

Tower Paint in Wisconsin offers paints to match these codes as a special order Yarocki Red, at least they still did a couple of years ago. 

Actually have a tin of original Indian Red air dry enamel partially full here. Keep meaning to open it and have some scanned. Have tried this a couple of times before with other paint colours, and they never seem to reproduce exactly as the original, usually needs the experienced eye of a paint guy to tweak the colours a little. 

• 01 Jul 2019 4:31 PM
    Reply # 7724373 on 7705437

All helpful info.... thanks

• 02 Jul 2019 3:06 AM
    Reply # 7727902 on 7705437

Hi Tim,

Mick from UK here.

I agree that even matching to original is hard. I tried to match red to "Tony's" Triumph here in UK (am I allowed to mention that make here?!) and in the end gave up - as red background shades vary between purple and brown and every imaginable shade in between.

I must have tried dozens thinking it was correct in the paint shop, only to go out in sunlight and see it was completely different.

The difference here however is that we were matching to colour cards - so a good scan may well get you a good match.

I'm trying to source the "right" colour if there is such a thing as well - so if you can get your pot matched up it would be a real help.

Cheers Mick

PS When are you back in the UK? as I never got to meet up last time you were over?

• 02 Jul 2019 7:03 AM
    Reply # 7728185 on 7705437

Hi Mick, should be back over late summer/autumn, will give you a call.

Tonys bike, if I had to hazard a guess, may well be Triumph Amaranth Red. Discussed the paint with Tony a couple of times, and figured it had been repainted in India at some point, and it has that deep early speed twin colour to it.  

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.