The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Building a ‘28 front wheel

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 15 Apr 2020 11:41 AM
    Message # 8901518
    Anonymous

Forgive my ignorance but I’m new to this forum .my recently acquired project bike needed a braked front wheel . Kind supplier Maciek in Poland provided a repro  drum hub and rim spoke set up.

ive spent the last two days off and on trying to lace it together.Is there a simply set of clear instructions anywhere on line that I can refer too.

with all spokes the correct same length I jus5 don’t get it. I always  seem to have 10 spokes sticking thru the rim .

im not a novice as I’ve built norton Bsa Ajs wheels before with no great fuss.

this indian set up has got me stumped.HELP.

• 15 Apr 2020 7:46 PM
    Reply # 8902425 on 8901518

Hi Gordon, I laced one up a short while ago and I followed Tech Tip #14 (go to the members only category here) and you’ll get it done!  Mind you, I did have my “issues” but it's a pretty clear set of instructions.  Of note, I laced up a drop center rim from a European supplier....very nice rim but DO NOT assume it is round!

• 15 Apr 2020 8:31 PM
    Reply # 8902482 on 8901518

Directions from the net is often for HD rims. Indian rims are laced mirror reversed as the drum brake is on the opposite side, best is directions in the R&O but in a pinch, a HD rim picture can be flipped over in a computer. If you put the rim down with the tube hole against the floor, Indian rims has the first forward spoke hole to the left, HD to the right. However, rumour has got to my ears that it has been done before, lace up a HD rim on an Indian and get it close enough. Ugh!

Original there is a difference between front and rear rim tit angles for the spokes, maybe not all that important if that is not on the repro rims and the nipples has room for the lean angle.

Lace the brake drum with all the spokes threaded from the outside like in the picture.

Indian did thread half of them from the inside, but only for a very short period in the beginning. I suspect that showed to make the lacing weaker, with dual bends on the spokes more prone to losing up spoke tension if the rim on the brake drum sagged the least.

Actually Maciek carry 2 version drillings for different spoke versions, one drum drilled for the earlier clincher wheel and drop center rim, and then the -31 version with its thicker spokes. Maybe it is so that you can order a 3rd version for the earliest spoke pattern if you wish, the one with half of the spokes laced from the inside.

The drum versions can be decided on old drums, by where the countersunk for the spoke butts are drilled, sometimes wear from the spoke stems also is visible. That earliest version has half of the holes countersunk at the inside and half on the outside, but most has all countersink on the outside. Some of the drop-center rim drums are drilled in a zig-zag pattern but the -31 drum has larger holes and always drilled in a zig-zag pattern.

Obvious perhaps but, the opposite side hub rim, and the rear wheel hub rims are always laced half from the inside and half from the outside.

8 files
    Last modified: 16 Apr 2020 6:24 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 16 Apr 2020 9:00 AM
    Reply # 8903268 on 8901518
    Anonymous

Thanks guys for the info..I found the info on fact sheet 14 confusing plus the images with the home made location tool  un recognisable due to poor image quality.

i will get there in the end., thanks 

• 16 Apr 2020 9:59 AM
    Reply # 8903443 on 8901518
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Any tips on how you eventually work it out greatly appreciated, Gordon.

• 16 Apr 2020 10:34 AM
    Reply # 8903509 on 8901518

Gordon, read through that Tech Tip a couple of times and it will become more clear, and then follow it as you go...that’s what I did.  I made a simple gauge out of cardboard to locate that first spoke (no picture, sorry!).  My biggest problem was that the new rim was oval and I didn’t notice it until it was time to true things up.  Good luck!

• 19 Apr 2020 4:25 AM
    Reply # 8908672 on 8901518
    Anonymous

Thanks Harry...I’ve torn so much hair out I’m now almost bald.i can’t get my head around that gauge thing.My rim also seems to be oval..but sorted that.

i fixed the busted oil pump and ran it thru my home nickel plating kit..

giving Indian things a rest for a couple of days, going to work on my sunbeam instead....

2 files
    Last modified: 19 Apr 2020 12:02 PM | Anonymous
  • 20 Apr 2020 9:10 AM
    Reply # 8910693 on 8901518
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

What Sunbeam, Gordon ?

I have a scruffy 1930 Model 5. Convinced that when Franklin sketched out the Sport Scout in 1932, just before he died, he had been looking at Sunbeams.

• 20 Apr 2020 8:09 PM
    Reply # 8912666 on 8901518

Gordon, I enlarged George's picture from Tech Tip #14, and I also scribbled on another picture of a hub trying to illustrate how that first spoke is located.  (...previously mentioned, but I just made a cardboard gauge for this one time use!)

2 files
  • 23 Apr 2020 6:56 AM
    Reply # 8923606 on 8901518
    Anonymous

Harry , thanks a bunch for those two pics, that makes it a lot clearer.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.