The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Alemite vs. Zerk

• 09 May 2020 5:40 PM
    Message # 8958355
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

My Scout still has the original Alemite button-head grease fittings.  I bought an adapter from Jerry Greer's so I could use my grease gun that normally connects to Zerk fittings.  No luck.  The Alemite fittings are clean and clear (oil passes through with no problem), but grease just flows around the head of the button, not through it.  

Have any of you had luck using Alemite fittings with a modern Zerk grease gun?  Should I convert to Zerk fittings?

Thanks,

John

• 10 May 2020 10:43 AM
    Reply # 8959087 on 8958355

I would call or write Greer first of all. It is important that the button head fit properly and slide in all the way in, in the slit of the adapter. A burr, nick or bend on the button head can obstruct that. Also the tiny ball and spring in the button head can simply be stuck. The ball movement is little, just 1-2mm but can be checked by pushing on it with a needle. Cheaper reproduced nipples does not have a ball and spring fitted at all.

I can't see how the Greer upper side of the adapter is like, but if it is a screw there it should be removable and the plastic, felt or cork sealing ring replacable for a thicker one. Or maybe the screw can be turned down? The other fault can be that grease is not flowing into the cavity in the bearing as it should, the hole is obstructed, full of dirt or perhaps the bushing has turned a bit, offset the hole. 

Here is a picture of Greer adapter and the upper side of an adapter that Thomas Fickau made some years ago. The head opening is opposite direction made for pushing against the head, necessary when using a modern grease gun. And some pictures of original grease guns, they can be found in different versions. The opening is made for hook on and pull on the grease gun. 

13 files
    Last modified: 11 May 2020 1:02 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 11 May 2020 9:59 AM
    Reply # 8960926 on 8958355
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Call Greers, John.

Have seen three of their fittings, two  didn't work ( or behaved as you described) A modern grease gun with a lever pump seems to  create too much pressure if there is any restriction, and the sealing washer blows out. haven't found a cure yet. 

I just sold an old one to treasurer Rockwell, and he replaced the washer, will see if I can get him to pass on details.

• 17 May 2020 10:15 AM
    Reply # 8974793 on 8958355
    Anonymous

Hi John,

I cheat. I replace the fitting with a modern one, give it a squirt of grease, and then put the old one back on. I keep the look but don’t deal with the problems of the old ones

Hope this helps,

Dana

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.