The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Rocker Arm Pivot Pin Removal

• 27 May 2020 10:47 AM
    Message # 8995556
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

I want to remove the pivot pin from my front fork rocker arms for cleaning/inspection/lube.  Everything is painted over, so it's kind of hard to figure out, but looking at diagrams from Greer's for later models, it appears the pin is pushed out by pressing on the end with the cotter pin - after removing the pin of course.  Correct?

Thanks,

John

2 files
  • 27 May 2020 9:30 PM
    Reply # 8996740 on 8995556
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Yup - that was the answer.  A few taps on the pivot pins and they popped right out.

Thanks,

John

• 28 May 2020 2:09 PM
    Reply # 8998581 on 8995556

Sorry that I didn't had time to reply your question fast enough, but it worked out allright for you! You did good. I just repeat the mantra --The smartest decision one can do, is to ask beforehand before doing something unadvisedly. Any and all questions are justifiable, there is no such thing as a stupid question, it is only the answers that may be stupid.

• 29 May 2020 8:15 AM
    Reply # 9000601 on 8995556
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Well done John. Worth noting here that it is not a bad idea to use a soft drift, as these pins often become burred over from being driven out, and scalp the hole in the link, which is soft malleable cast, causing them to be forever loose.

Refitting same, I use a small threaded drift that screws into the grease fitting thread and sits flush on the outer face, to avoid damage on replacement.

• 29 May 2020 1:26 PM
    Reply # 9001188 on 8995556

I used a gear puller to install the pins, they were new pins and quite tight especially with the knurled “head” needing to seat in the spring arms.  They actually pushed in and seated without a whole lot of force being necessary ;-)

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.