The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

cam side crank case cracking

• 29 May 2020 1:39 PM
    Message # 9001194

My crankcase had a crack from the closest bushing hole to the pinion shaft hole and there was an old weld repair there that also was showing the crack.  So I took it to a professional who welds mostly aluminum, he carefully ground out the old weld and tried to stitch it, short bursts then let it cool.  In spite of that we found more cracks developing and I’m afraid it’s a goner.  I’ve got one more hope that another fellow I know may be able to rescue it, he has had a career of repairing architectural antiquities made of cast metal, but I’m not optimistic.  Sigh.... anyone have a spare RH crank case they’d be willing to sell me?

• 30 May 2020 7:20 AM
    Reply # 9002810 on 9001194
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Might do harry, email me.

• 31 May 2020 5:35 PM
    Reply # 9005508 on 9001194

Did the first welder pre-heat the case half in an oven before attempting to weld? I hear that helps reduce problems when welding aluminum.

• 01 Jun 2020 4:30 PM
    Reply # 9007915 on 9001194

Harley, I’m sure he did but I wasn’t around for the job.  I find it hard to tell a guy with 30 years experience working with aluminum how to do his job, but we did discuss it beforehand and he said he needed to heat it before welding.  I have heard it’s tricky and often not successful to weld these old cast aluminum cases!

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.