The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Advice on cylinder bores and piston fitment

• 26 Jul 2020 10:22 PM
    Message # 9126987

Not knowing the prior history of my Scout I decided to take the engine down and do an inspection.  My first goal was to see what kind of shape the cylinders were in.  I measured 2.925" plus or minus .001" on both cylinders.  I measured at top, middle and bottom of piston travel in two directions - one parallel with the piston pin and one perpendicular to it.  The good news is that I never saw more than .001" variation, possibly indicating there were not a lot of miles put on it after the last time it was serviced.  If the original bore was 2.875" it looks like someone has bored this one .050" over.  I did notice the pistons seemed to have quite a bit of scratches/scoring on them which makes me wonder if i should at least try to get new .050" pistons?  The other thing I wanted to do was to measure piston clearance, but after taking a few measurements on the pistons it looked as though maybe they are cam ground and I wasn't quite sure where to measure and what value for piston clearance would be deemed acceptable.  Thank you in advance for your help.

Last modified: 26 Jul 2020 10:23 PM | Bill Erickson
  • 27 Jul 2020 8:06 AM
    Reply # 9127652 on 9126987
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Hi Bill, measure piston at the bottom of the skirt, in a front back direction. A standard cam ground Indian 45 piston will be around 0.008" thinner across the wrist pin direction. This pattern of piston was not introduced until the early/mid thirties, and allows for a tighter fit in the bore. Original 101 pistons ( if aluminum) were cylindrical, as piston technology had not developed far by 1928, and needed to be fitted with 0.008-0.010" clearance.

If you want to reuse the piston you will need to check the rings, and check that the ring lands are not worn. The rings in the cylinder should have an end gap of somewhere around 0.015-0.018 ".

New pistons are cheap enough, altho there may be a question mark over the rings that are provided with them.

Another option may be having the cylinder walls Nikasil coated, which will take them down by approx .040" , this seems like a good idea, and is a service that Vahan Dinanian on the west coast offers, altho I have no personal experience of doing this to an Indian cylinder. I would love to hear reports from anyone who has.

Keep us updated on how you go.

• 28 Jul 2020 9:23 AM
    Reply # 9130273 on 9126987

Thanks much Tim, I'll measure at the bottom of the skirt.  Using that measurement, how much clearance are we looking for in the cylinder - still in the .008-.010" range?

• 29 Jul 2020 10:07 AM
    Reply # 9132731 on 9126987
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

I aim for about 0.0045" on the front to back measurement with the cam ground pistons. The pistons usually come in at 0.003" under, ie for a standard bore of 2.875", the piston out of the box will measure 2.872", so to achieve the 0.0045" you would in this instance need to hone to 2.8765".

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.