The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Horn Switch Terminal

• 29 Aug 2020 2:29 PM
    Message # 9198589
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Spent the morning getting my handlebar controls fitted and installed.  I also routed the horn switch wire through the handlebar.  As you can see in the photo, the copper terminal is so tall that the button won't function when installed.  Is this designed to be filed down until it fits/functions?

I can't un-file it once I start, and want to make sure I'm on the right path.

Thanks,

John

1 file
  • 29 Aug 2020 5:18 PM
    Reply # 9198932 on 9198589

...on a related note, but not answering your question so sorry, where does the horn wire exit the handlebars?  It’s obvious on my later Indian but I see nothing on my 101 handlebar center casting.

• 30 Aug 2020 11:28 AM
    Reply # 9200081 on 9198589
    John Lindberg (Administrator)

Harry,

My original '31 handlebar had a hole in each side for wires to exit as shown in the photo.  My repro '29 handlebar had those two holes filled with brazing rod.  It was simple to locate the holes and drill one out for my horn wire.

John

1 file
  • 30 Aug 2020 7:55 PM
    Reply # 9200749 on 9198589

Thanks John!  (....and for some reason I have no holes like that in my casting)

• 31 Aug 2020 9:20 AM
    Reply # 9201731 on 9198589
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

John, looks like you will need to adjust carefully in order to make it work. Even new ones often need a bit of work. Make sure everything is assembled correctly before adjusting, but you can always build up the copper with some solder if you go too far.

• 31 Aug 2020 10:50 AM
    Reply # 9201887 on 9198589

Later Indians has a taller cover for the button, you might have to trim down the repro plastic isolator in order to fit your cover.  Here's a picture of 2 buttons, one a original button apart and a faithful repro one, assembled. The hole in the handlebar base is about 10mm (0.39") and there is a rubber grommet for the wire (2 in the picture). The hole for the button isolator is about 7mm (9/32") The screws are 5/32"-?tpi and 1/4" long.

On the repro button wire, the distance from the top of the wire butt down to the plastic isolator ledge is 6,35mm (1/4") it's a little less on the original from wear I assume.

Some handlebars has buttons on both sides of the handlebar, Fours does not have a valve lifter as the twins has, so early ones without the key switch have to have a magneto kill button. Some sport and racers need (or customers wants) a magneto kill button.

Earlier bikes may have a horn button clamped to the handlebar and the wire routed on the outside. Some bikes might have been ordered without electrics.

2 files
    Last modified: 04 Sep 2020 6:34 AM | Carl-Erik Renquist
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.