The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Need Help in NSW Australia

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
  • 20 Apr 2016 5:10 AM
    Reply # 3972639 on 3969974
    Brett Poole wrote:The front spark lead goes to the front cylinder (2) and the rear spark lead to the rear cylinder (1).

Am I missing anything else??

Hm...the front lead should go to the rear cylinder!
  • 21 Apr 2016 7:49 AM
    Reply # 3975762 on 3967499
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Yup, Carl-Erik is correct, if your mag is built correctly, the front lead goes to the rear. If you check that the points are opening at the correct point on full advance for each cylinder ( the longer point  cam lobe should fire the rear cylinder) , and you still have issues, it could be a major air leak in the carb or inlet manifold. The Throttle shaft, if worn, will suck air and prevent idling, as will a leak between the manifold and inlet ports. A basic test would be to spray both areas with wd40 or easy start or similar, and see if it changes the revs. The factory manuals recommend spraying the area with gas, - have a large bucket of sand and several fire extinguishers handy if you try this method. To check if the throttle shaft is the problem, you can often cure it as a temporary fix by using small o rings on the top and bottom. They will probably not last long, but if that works you know that the shaft will need new bushes. 

There are numerous more complex leakdown tests , the virtual Indian site has some detailed explanations from Cotten and others. 

Stick with it, if you sell the bike, you may not find another one, and you would be able to get more for it if it is running correctly. Riding an old Indian is the perfect antidote to the stress and strain of the modern world, and time spent getting one running right is better than a yoga and meditation course. 

• 21 Apr 2016 7:57 AM
    Reply # 3975783 on 3967499
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Brett, there was a father and son with Indians I talked to a few times a couple of years back, just north of Newie . Trying to find out contact details, my memory is fading with old age . Son was Jason maybe ? 

Tim

• 24 Apr 2016 4:42 AM
    Reply # 3981331 on 3967499
    Deleted user

Thanks for that info.

Well I went out this morning and went through the process and she fired but ran rough, on 1 cylinder, also still pumping fuel out of the carby, way to much….well I checked the valves and re checked the gaps and the exhaust tappet on the rear cylinder was loose, anyway I re adjusted and ensured all were correct.

Then I pulled the bowl of the carry off and bent the arm holding the float a tad so it didn’t sit to high, I then put it all back together.

Then second kick she fired on both cylinders….yahoo!!

Problem was it was running a tad hard so now have to adjust the carby tuning, will do tomorrow. But the only other issue is the fuel tap with vibration turns itself off, so may have to put a rubber o-ring on it so it holds solid open.

Fiddly trying to get the idle to just tick over, I guess it is a just fiddling with the throttle cable and the adjusting screw on the throttle lever. I might even get to try to ride her around the block….that will be an experience.

Cheers

Brett

• 25 Apr 2016 3:42 AM
    Reply # 3982842 on 3967499

Hello Brett , don't give up , they are lovely bikes to ride . Make sure you time the rear cylinder with piston position . Not the timing marks on the magneto gear . So many bikes have had different mags or mag gears fitted you cannot rely on magneto timing gear marks . When I first got mine it was firing 5/8ths btdc on one cylinder and tdc on the other . Not running well at all . When I looked at the timing gears they lined up but after re-timing shows my mag gear 8 teeth out and it runs great . Best wishes , Ken

• 25 Apr 2016 10:35 PM
    Reply # 3984877 on 3967499
    Deleted user

Thanks Ken, I found the same.

• 06 Jun 2016 9:12 AM
    Reply # 4059527 on 3967499
    Anonymous

Hello Brett - the father and son team in Newcastle that Tim Raindle was recalling, is Stephen and Jason Elliott.  I can assist with these details if still required.  I'm not far from you.  Ph. 0411796252.

Last modified: 06 Jun 2016 9:17 AM | Anonymous
  • 10 Jun 2016 7:19 AM
    Reply # 4067217 on 3967499

Hi.  I’m coming a bit late to this particular thread, I don’t know why I didn’t pick up on it before.

I’ve had a fairly similar issue, with multiple rebuilds of carb and mag slightly improving, but not curing, the fault.  I also had a double and simultaneous failure of a pair of Bosch plugs which I am still struggling to understand but am now on NGKs.  But I think the problem with my machine was with the points in the Splitdorf mag.  Although they were gapped correctly, there was an angular contact between the two contacts; I think this gave such a small contact patch that it passed insufficient current to make a clean break, and hence a spark.  The points were bent into full contact, and stoned flat and square, and the bike now fires up very easily.  Worth a quick check if only to eliminate the possibility.  Good luck!

Last modified: 10 Jun 2016 7:21 AM | Stuart Morgan
  • 11 Jun 2016 7:06 AM
    Reply # 4068635 on 3967499
    Deleted user

OMG !!!  After reading thru this -one glad to see you stuck with it - two I now realize how lucky  I was to get a 1926 Scout a few years ago and other than cleaning the gas tank  I have had the great fortune to be able to ride this bike trouble free nearly 1000 miles (knock on wood - don't want to jinx myself)

Congrats  on  finial getting it right - now ride it !!!

• 13 Jun 2016 3:01 AM
    Reply # 4071872 on 3967499
    Deleted user

Thanks Guys, well I have since converted the throttle to the right hand and advance/retard to left for simplicity so then I only have to worry about the clutch and gearing....I started her again yesterday with no problem am just getting the carry sorted with tuning and once done will take her for another test ride tomorrow so fingers crossed....

Than Danny for your number I will call if any issues.

I am likely to be laid up for awhile as I have to re visit my oncology Doctor on Wednesday to determine whether I have surgery prior to starting chemo again.

<< First  < Prev   1   2   Next >  Last >> 
 AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.