The 101 Association, Inc.
For the preservation and enjoyment of 1928 to 1931 Indian Scout Motocycles
"You can't wear out an Indian Scout"

Two steps forward, three back

• 14 Mar 2019 6:06 AM
    Reply # 7218376 on 7158645

It now seem I have polymyalgia rheumatica and not arthritis as such.

Good news here it is usually treatable with steriods.

Started the pills two days ago and a marked improvement thank goodness!!

Just before it got real bad, I managed to get the sidecar frame primed and sprayed up, so a bit of progress there.

I need to replace the brass bearings on one of the gears in the mag gear train. Does anyone sell these new ?

Mike.

• 25 Mar 2019 5:23 PM
    Reply # 7244585 on 7158645

After x-rays and blood tests they now tell me I have Polymyalgia Rheumatica,

This weakens the muscles in legs and arms and makes them ache a lot like when you have flu.    However, good news is it is treatable with steroids and I have started a course of treatment and results so far are very good and I am now spending a lot more time back in the garage rather than the house !!

I should be back working on the bike again very soon.

This is all very good news as a couple of weeks back, my wife was having to help me dress. So here's hoping that the cure is permanent.

Mike.

• 26 Mar 2019 4:49 AM
    Reply # 7245416 on 7158645

That's nice to hear, Mike. Hopes are up!

• 27 Mar 2019 12:29 PM
    Reply # 7247701 on 7158645

Good to hear you're on the mend Mike , hope all is well in the garage too !! Ken

• 29 Mar 2019 7:57 AM
    Reply # 7250504 on 7158645

Now back in the workshop and putting the Indian back into one piece !!

I need to know the sizes so I can make two new wrist pins for the pistons.

I am sure Carl will be able tom provide details.

I looked in the RO ,but could not find the info.

(The motor section definitely needs enlarging with more specs etc.)

Previously the bike was in Holland and non standard parts were fitted, but now have pistons and cylinders from Greg Hutchinson in Oz, that are about to be fitted, but the wrist pins are oversize bores to suit European parts.(curse).

Pills are kicking in fine now and my hands are nearly back to normal.

Fish oil is supposed to be good for these joint ailments.?

Mike.

• 30 Mar 2019 8:27 AM
    Reply # 7252239 on 7158645

There is a high precision fit between the piston and piston pin in several aspects. It is way better to make a connecting rod bushing than modifying the piston for a custom pin. So the piston should be used with the pin supplied with  or made for, and the rod bushing modified to suit the pin.

Pin is better to be bought finished from a reputable piston maker if not provided with the piston. Making one is hi tech stuff in metallurgy, heat treatment and surface grinding. Both outer surface and hole surface has importance in fatigue failure, and to get the right stiffness with the lightest weight possible takes some knowledge.

Broken wristpins isn't common because they are overengineered in almost all cases, but wrong material, heat treatment or grinding finish can result in breaks or heavy wear in piston pin hole.

1 file
    Last modified: 04 Apr 2019 2:59 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 01 Apr 2019 3:05 AM
    Reply # 7254342 on 7158645

Hi Carl, a small typo in my last post. I am using the new wrist pins with the new pistons. I just have to replace the brass/bronze bushes .

I have pushed out the old bushes with the long bolt and tube method and one has an o/d of 15/16" ,but the other is slightly oversize. If the new bushes are reamed out to 3/4" i/d I would think that after pushing them back in the rods, they may well have to be honed a touch ?

The new pins are .750" dead size. Once these are sorted I can get the cylinders back on as valve guides and valves etc. are all fitted and waiting for the big day.

Would be glad to hear your   comments on this matter.

Mike.

• 04 Apr 2019 2:31 PM
    Reply # 7260538 on 7158645

I have had problem with bushings that nipped the piston pin and when that happend the pin looses it function to float back and forth in the piston. In one of my engines it probably nipped up then released and nipped up again in different positions. That made the pin pound on both pin locks, widening the grooves almost to the brink of them jump out. I heard the engine didn't sound right and didn't feel right so I removed the cylinders and that saved a major breakdown. In another engine I discovered miscolour at the smallend and black soot at the piston underside. So I advocate loose fitting at the pin bushing. I haven't measured the play exactly, I ream with an adjustable reamer now so the pin fall or runs through the rod without effort even lightly oiled with thin oil. Of course I would get a smoother surface that may improve the longevity if I could hone the bushing as a last step, but I haven't got such small hone. Yet.

Last modified: 04 Apr 2019 2:51 PM | Carl-Erik Renquist
  • 09 Apr 2019 7:44 AM
    Reply # 7273091 on 7158645
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

Mike, you want about one thou clearance on the wrist pin in the bush, no less,  An adjustable reamer is fine.  You also want to grind a small chamfer on the end of each wrist pin, so that if the pin butts up against the circlip, it pushes it into the groove tighter. Stock pins may well pop the circlip out, this is the cause of all those ruined cylinders with wrist pin  scores up the bores.

Last modified: 11 Apr 2019 8:34 AM | Tim Raindle (Administrator)
  • 10 Apr 2019 8:10 AM
    Reply # 7275784 on 7158645
    Tim Raindle (Administrator)

With hands, try picking some stinging nettles, see if that works. Strong anti-histamine anti-inflammatory, works great for my knees. You get used to the stings very quickly.

AMCA Chapter WebRing AMCA National 
Next >>       Random       Hub       << Prev

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Classic Motorcycle Webring

Join Now | Ring Hub | Random | << Prev | Next >>

Indian Motorcycles Webring

<< Prev | Hub | Rate | Next >>

Copyright © 2009 The 101 Association, Inc. All rights reserved.